1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Looking for small stereo mics for MD recording.

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by mark_van_j, Sep 18, 2007.

1. mark_van_j

mark_van_j Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Maribor, Slovenia
    Hey guys!

Just got myself a new portable MD recorder. One of the reasons was also to do some basic field recording. What I would like is a fairly decent microphone, to do some quality recordings. Looking at a budget of $100. (but if it's REALLY good, I might stretch it)

After some research I found the following main options:

Sony ECM-MS907: I've used it, sounds ok, has switchable stereo (90-180) for amazing stereo recordings and good price. Unfortunately has only a freq response of 100-15k.

Edirol CS-15: Has lots of accessories such as a handheld clamp. Unfortunately has no specs, fixed stereo and is quite pricier.

Audio Technica Pro 24: Fair price, somewhat better freq response (100-17k) and is an Audio Technica (!). Again, no switchable stereo.

Also found some homemade stuff. The Reactive Sounds Delta 1. Great price, very compact. It also boasts a 20-20k freq response (which might be +-10db if you ask me) as well as a recording example online (but you know how that is).

So you see I'm in limbo. There is not one mic that would combine all of these great specifications without some sort of drawback. I really like the switchable stereo on the Sony, since it makes AMAZING binaural recording. But I like the freq response of the Audio Technica better. But I like the accessories of the Edirol... I like the look of the Delta, but I simply don't trust them.

What I'm looking for is some help in making a smart decision. This is for field recording, to be used for sound design, student movies, Electroacoustic compositions etc... Does anyone have any other recommendations?

2. Boswell

Boswell Distinguished Moderator Resource Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Home Page:
    The Rode NT4 beats any of the mics you mention. It's a higher price, but still excellent value for money. As well as running battery-powered with a minijack connector, it can be used as a conventional phantom-powered XLR mic when you are using pro recording gear.

You could also look at the Sony ECM-MS957 as a considerable step-up from the 907, but it's still a bit light in the bass when run into the medium-impedance input of an MD recorder.
  3. mark_van_j

mark_van_j Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Maribor, Slovenia
    Now THAT, I did not know! Will definitely check it out...

edit: Man, that mic is 4 times the price of any of the others... I doubt I want to invest that much. Still looks to sound amazing though!
  4. DocRoc

DocRoc Guest

I like that quote,

"Still looks to sound amazing"!