1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Looking for the RCA logo font

Discussion in 'Studio Lounge' started by BobRogers, Jan 1, 2010.

1. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

Does anyone know the font that the classic RCA logo is based on? I'm working on a studio logo and want something similar.

2. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

Bob,

Back in the 30's, hot lead type was still predominant, so I'm going to say that the RCA logotype was a poured logotype and not a real font.

Someone may have greated a new RCA font, but about the only thing I've ever seen close to it is Desdemona... but the "C" is strictly a sanserif character...

Depending on your intended usage, you might be able to render Desdemona text, then hack it w/photoshop to get what you want.

Hopefully someone else will have it for you, but that's about all I'm good for - info wise... sorry, bro.

Max

3. Thomas W. Bethel

Thomas W. Bethel Well-Known Member

It was probably done by graphic artist as a one off logo.

4. djmukilteo

djmukilteo Well-Known Member

Most of those start out with a helvetica (Swiss) font but like every corporate logo it is "stylized" for copyright purposes.
    If your looking to create a nice logo you can use Corel or Illustrator to start with a nice font and then "kern" and "stylize" from there!

5. Thomas W. Bethel

Which RCA are you looking for there were a lot see http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=rca+logo&gbv=2&aq=0&oq=RCA+Lo&aqi=g1

6. BobRogers

This one

7. BobRogers

Hate the newer ones. The sixties have a lot to answer for.

8. Thomas W. Bethel

Probably done by a graphic artist back in the day. I don't think there are any fonts that are commercially available that match this font. As others have suggested find one that is close and do some photo shopping until it looks the way you want it to look. You might want to have a look at a font editor like this http://www.fontlab.com/

9. BobRogers

That agrees with everything else I have been able to gather. Since I want it for a logo rather than a general text font, I can probably do the whole thing in photoshop. I'll pick a public domain font with a retro vibe for general text. Thanks for the input everyone.