1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Looking for versatile kick drum mic

Discussion in 'Drums' started by Hitman, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Hitman

Hitman Guest

I am looking for suggestions for a versatile kick drum mic. Something that can get a tight rock/funk sound on a 22", and get an open jazz sound on an 18". Any recommendations? Considering Audix D6, AKG D112, Shure Beta 52.

Any comments on these, or other mic.s would be appreciated.

2. maintiger

maintiger Well-Known Member

Any of the mics you mentioned should do the job- the D112 works for me, I like the sound best-

3. anonymous

anonymous Guests

I use the D6 you mentioned. I like it. But the condensor at about 2 or 3 feet away is really the sh*t. IMO
    Or even up close is sweet too.

4. maintiger

yep, a condenser in adition to a kick mic gives you a lot more options at mixdown- and you might just get 'the sound'

5. jonyoung

jonyoung Well-Known Member

check out a Sennheiser e602. A D112 by comparison sounds like someone tapping on a shoebox (no offense to any fans of the 112, I know people love them, but I've made several converts).

6. Marcus Black

Marcus Black Guest

Sennheiser MD421. Hard to go wrong with it and it is great on guitar amps, vocals, horns, pretty much anything aswell. It's very versatile, not only for kickdrums, but in general.

7. Markd102

Markd102 Well-Known Member

Beyer M88

8. Midlandmorgan

Midlandmorgan Active Member

Also try an SM7...not only is it a KILLER kick mic, its a KILLER vocal mic...

I've used the SM7 on every conceivable sized kick drum (and oddly enough, the 15 ft drum used in Native American ceremonies...) with great results.

9. Dave62

Dave62 Guest

My vote is for the Shure 52. Every time I use it I have to hi pass it in the mix because there is too much way down there (30 hz). This might seem like a negative but every other mic I have used I find I have to EQ in more lows and the 52 does not need this extra EQ added.

10. frob

frob Well-Known Member

the beta 52 is a good mic but it is really lacking in the high end, a good condencer is always good, but i would get a EV RE20, its a good bass, kick, guitar, vocal mic. ive even heard some one use it for accustic guitar with great results.

11. Kswiss

Kswiss Guest

i have a D6 and a Beta 52, and I end up using the D6 a little more often.... it is a little more colored of a sound, but it sounds good on practically any kick drum without having to EQ much. The 52 does a better job of capturing a more organic sound, but after EQ at mixdown it sounds pretty much like the D6 with no EQ....i'm not a fan of the D112, i've used that for live sound a couple times and hated it....i don't think you can really go wrong with the D6 or Beta though..... if you want an all purpose mic though the 421 is killer, just might require a little more work to get an awesome kick sound...

K

12. maintiger

different mics for different folks.. that's why we have variety, people buy different things- otherwise we'd have one world, one kick mic - I still like the D112 :D

13. sproll

sproll Active Member

Audix D6 :cool:

14. Hitman

Hitman Guest

Thanks everyone. I'm considering the D6 mainly for budgetary reasons, and I like it's size.

Those of you using the D6... How is it for getting an open sound from a bass drum with a full head on the front? Does it capture the rounder sound from this type of drum?

15. maintiger

hey sproll, finally we like different things... I thought we were twins for a while :D

AKG D112 :cool: :cool:

16. Kswiss

Kswiss Guest

the D6 is the most expensive of the three you listed...... anyways, the D6 is good for the round tone...if the front head is on, i put it about 3-8 inches from the edge of the drum aimed up at the beater through the head. This works for me but you'd have to try it.....

K

17. sproll

sproll Active Member

LOL :D Yeah, well I guess we're not exactly the same. I honestly think the D112 is a great mic, hell, it's a standard to which all are judged... but I like the more natural, rounder sound of the D6. Just my personal preference for what kind of music I like. Of course if I was a real engineer with a real studio I'd have both in my mic locker. 8)

18. jamiey

jamiey Guest

I also use the d112 regularly, though once got to use a d6 - which was definately different sounding, and needed les EQ. But the thing I like about the d112 is, even though it has got that basketball sound at first, it seems to keep it's punch-through the mix after heavily EQing, it doesn't fall apart so-to-speak. I also have SM7 which is an awesome all-arounder (can't use it on kick much because I use it on guitar amp)

Another good mic would be the EV20

19. Hitman

Hitman Guest

Kswiss - I found that the Shure, AKG and Audix are all similarly priced. I did find a couple of D6's on ebay for $135ish, which is the lowest I had found so far.

I have to say that my experience as a player (drummer) with the D112 have not been positive. We ususally try it, but opt for something else. That is my experience with several different bass drums and studios. I don't know? But for that reason I'm shying away from the D112 and opting to try the D6.

Sproll - I do like what you said about the D6 sounding more natural and rounder to you. That is more along the lines of my personal taste at this time. I'm not looking for that through your chest thud. I want a more organic sound.

Thanks for the input.

20. anonymous

anonymous Guests

I just want to add again...
    My only kick mic is a D6, but the best sound I get, is from any of my condensor mic's. I really mean it!!!! :!:
    ^#$%...I like the D6, but if I don't or can't find the damn condensor mic's we might as well not record until I can find them type of impact on your recordings.
    I really feel if you want something to write home about (or beat your chest like Tarzan when your recordings are done) look at getting a LDC.
    LDC=BIG SOUND
    I think this is the only way to go