1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Looking to replace my Oktava MC012's...

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by therecordingart, May 8, 2005.

1. therecordingart

therecordingart Well-Known Member

First off....I've seen this mic called the MC012 and the MK012...no difference in the mic.

Alright, I have used these mics as my OH's, on acoustic guitar, and on violins. I've found someone wanting to buy these from me, and now have a little dough to spend on "better" overheads.

I've been looking at the matched Rode NT5's and the SP C4's. I'm not sure if there are many other options in this price range that will give me a versatile and all around good mic.

What do you guys think? How do the NT5's stack up against the C4's, and is there anything else worth looking into?

2. heyman

heyman Guest

Hopefully you didnt get one of the chinese mic's - check these links out.. OUCH..

http://www.mojopie.com/oktava.html

http://oktava.tula.net/fake/

3. therecordingart

Mine are the real thing. I appreciate your post because I never knew!

4. frob

frob Well-Known Member

i would recomend the SP4's they are great. they sound fantastic on acoustic guitar as well.

ya know i bet thats why ive always dissliked the oktavias, i wanderd why i hated them and every one else seemd to love them. i bet the ones i heard where the chinees junk.

5. therecordingart

I have the Russian version, and I think they sound pretty good, but not great. I've had some reliability issues with them as well as this is my second pair. I just want to get them away from me as fast as I can.

6. maintiger

maintiger Well-Known Member

The C4's and the Sp4's are good mics but i am holding out for a pair of these next:

(dead link removed)

the c42's are definitely mics to keep for the rest of your life...

7. John Stafford

John Stafford Well-Known Member

I don't think the Rodes (which I REALLY like), or the SP4 would be an upgrade.

Xavier
    I too think the Josephsons are rather enticing.

That's really bizarre that there are fake Oktavas. I'd imagine fake KM-184s would bring in so much more money, but then there may be some of these too. I saw a U87 on ebay last week that I'm almost certain was a fake, but I don't think anyone fell for it.

John Stafford

8. therecordingart

What mics do you think would be an upgrade? As far as mics go...I'm lost!

9. heyman

heyman Guest

beyer 160's should be a step up, at least..

10. JBsound

JBsound Guest

I think that the AKG c451's would be a slight upgrade, although I would keep the octava's around. You could also consider something like the Neumann km184's and the Schoeps cmc6 bodies with some of the mk caps. The Neumann's and the schoeps are considerably more expensive though.

You aren't really getting much of an upgrade until you get to the josephsons, the akg's, the Neumann's, or the schoeps, in my opinion. That doesn't mean though that you wouldn't want to keep any of the other SD condensers around...it's good to have some flavors.

11. maintiger

I agree- if you already own the oktavas there is no advantage in getting the sp4 or the rodes- if you don't have them though, the sp4's at $319 are quite a steal 8) - or the nt4's if you can get them cheap- sometimes I see them out there for $299 but most times they go for $399- I would like to get those josephsons soon but I just got a G4 laptop and I just got a steal of a deal on a G5 so i could not pass that up either-

12. John Stafford

Sennheiser MKH series, Microtech Gefell M300 or something by DPA. These would be in the price bracket above the Neumanns, but that depends what part of the world you're in.

The stereo pairs by Neumann are WAY cheaper than buying singly, but a single Neumann is not too far behind Scheops in price. A lot of people think the Neumanns are crap, others think they're wonderful.

I don't know where you're based, but in Europe the Microtech Gefells are nearly as cheap ( :!: ) as the Neumanns. The Sennheisers and DPAs are the most expensive. In the US Microtech Gefell mics can approach Sennheiser MKH series in price, but apart from that the pricing structures are the same.

John Stafford

13. John Stafford

Actually, I've been reading this thread and my above post was a bit stupid. You're not looking to pay $2,000-4,000 for a pair!

Yeah, the Josephsons, but it's all a matter of taste, so you could look into the Audio Technica range. You might like the 4051a.

John Stafford

14. maintiger

well, some people swear by the akg 451's but they are not that much cheaper than the josephsons- if at all-

15. ShellTones

ShellTones Guest

The AT 4041 is supposed to be a very good mic that sells for about $280 - $300 retail. 8thstreet.com has been selling them bulk-pac for $190 each for a few years now. I always figured that was a great buy--$380 for a pair quality SDs.