1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Lost an old friend yesterday

Discussion in 'Studio Lounge' started by DonnyThompson, Sep 24, 2016.

  1. DonnyThompson

    DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

    My trusty SM57 gave up the ghost yesterday. I bought it new in 1978, I think I paid $59 for it.
    It handled punishment for almost 40 years; countless shows in smoky clubs, load ins and outs, as well as extreme conditions ...
    This is the same 57 that spent a winter under the ice and snow, under the spring mud; and which I thought I'd lost by leaving it at a gig - only to discover I hadn't when I hit it with a lawnmower in May that of that year.
    It continued to serve me well as my main vocal mic for various band and solo gigs for another 20 years after that.

    Funeral services will be private, but words of condolences can be expressed here, if you like.
    RIP 1978 Shure SM57... You were a constant companion, and you will be missed.
    bouldersound likes this.
  2. dvdhawk

    dvdhawk Well-Known Member

    Bummer man, any idea of the cause of death? (or are you just going to let it die with dignity?) I had a Whirlwind mic cable that I bought in 1978 finally crap out last year. '78 must have been a good year. Over the years, I'm sure I resoldered a pin or two, but this time it wasn't a connector issue. I could have started cutting it and salvaged at least half of it, but I figured after faithfully working for the company for 37 years he'd earned full retirement.

    RIP Donny's 57. In lieu of flowers, please send mic cables.
    Sean G likes this.
  3. Sean G

    Sean G Well-Known Member

    Oh D...so sorry to hear the sad news.

    I only mentioned it in a post here yesterday too...about how you could run over an SM-57 with a car...or in your case a lawnmower.

    I hope its passing was quick and painless for both it and yourself...although it is hard to let go of an old friend...I left my favorite '58 in a rehearsal room just before Christmas going on 4 years ago now...when I remembered it well into the new year it was too late...I had lost it to time. Now I may use many a '58 in years to come but losing that mic was like losing an old friend...
    - I still think about that '58 every day to this day...there was something about it, something magic, nothing like it and it fit like an old shoe...and smelled like one too...

    I hope you give that '57 a proper burial...back out in the snow...with full honours...as it truly deserves.

    Although I never met that '57, it held legendary status here on RO...there may be many '57's, but none like that '57

    It served you well Donny, rest its soul...as it makes its way to that big mic locker in the sky... :(

    The Shure Brothers would be proud of you....trusty ol' '57
    dvdhawk likes this.
  4. dvdhawk

    dvdhawk Well-Known Member

    I laughed out loud at that one, Sean.(y)
    DonnyThompson and Sean G like this.
  5. Sean G

    Sean G Well-Known Member

    Well...we have all been there, Dave. ;)
  6. audiokid

    audiokid Staff

    DonnyThompson likes this.
  7. DonnyThompson

    DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

    I pulled it out of my gig bag, just as I have for so many years, mounted it on the mic clip, put it in n the stand, connected up a cable and....nuthin'.
    Of course I switched cables, even went as far as to use another input on the mixer, but I knew those things wouldn't help...he was gone. He passed away sometime between gigs, safe and warm in my gig bag, in the familiar surroundings he had lived in for So many years.
    The mic clip isn't taking it well; after all, they were joined together for so long, they had become close, they didn't always get along, but they obviously needed each other. I told the mic clip I'd be getting another mic for him soon, as soon as I could afford it. He seemed to hear me...but last night I heard the sound of soft crying coming from the bag...while the cables all sang a soft version of "Oh Danny Boy"... Which I don't get, because his name was Bob, not Dan... I mean, it was a microphone, why on earth would I name him Dan? ...but I let them sing anyway.
    Sean G likes this.
  8. Sean G

    Sean G Well-Known Member

    You didn't attempt CPR Donny?....not even slowly exhaling into him occassionally seperated by the odd "check, 1...2...? "

    Or was the fact that he had flatlined on the VU's enough of a sign that you just had to let Bob go gracefully??

    And I hate to ask this so soon, I know its hard to ask this type of question straight after a sudden loss...but was Bob on the donor list???.....

    - Maybe some good could come from all this, maybe he could just save the life of another '57...so in his own little way a part of Bob could live on.

Share This Page