1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Low level

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by LaLaland, Jan 1, 2011.

1. LaLaland

LaLaland Active Member

Just a quick question here. I'm getting a really low level when recording vocals. I have an Mbox mini, and Shure SM58 mic. The gain is maxed out and I'm still getting low levels. I was just wondering if it's because I'm recording with a dynamic mic instead of a condensor,or if something else is wrong. Thanks.
    Picture 1.jpg

2. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I know nothing about MBox Mini but I'll try to help until a more familiar member chimes in on this Holiday Weekend.

Is there a gain setting in M Box itself ( somewhere in the audio input section)? You could have the AD gain set to -10 -20 pad or something. Put it to +4 first and see how that goes.
    You could also be plagued with poor gain with the M Box itself and yes, and condenser would have more gain than a dynamic.

3. LaLaland

LaLaland Active Member

Forgive my exaggeration if you already know this, but there are 2 inputs on the mbox mini, but I'm only using Input 1. The gain knob is the "Input 1" knob and it's maxed out. There's a pad button on the back, however it's not pushed in, therefore not active. So, it's not a pad problem...Just for a reference of what I'm talking about...
    750-MBox2Mini_rear.jpg MBox2Mini-xlarge.jpg

4. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

The waveform you show in the picture is plenty to work with in the digital realm provided it sounds good. Normalize it to -6dB and be done with it. PT records at 24bits so it does take more input to "max" it out which again is unnecessary. A condenser microphone would be a hotter signal but not by itself better. On the MBox itself, some things to look for are line/mic switch. Make sure it is set to mic. I'm not sure if there is a software switch for that since I don't own an MBox and am not particularly familiar with CoreAudio.

edit: I guess the MBox lists it as mic/DI. Make sure both those buttons are in the out position (Pad and Mic).

5. LaLaland

LaLaland Active Member

Thanks JackAttack, Yes, the Mic/DI button is out. I appreciate the help!

6. audiokid

audiokid Staff

yes exactly, a software switch is what I was thinking too. Good point on the normalization ( got to love the TheJackAttack) but if were me and planning more than a few tracks, I would keep it even lower, like -10 and/or prolong any normalization up until the mastering of the CD or MP3.