1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Low tunings in Locking Tuners?

Discussion in 'Accessories & Connections' started by mrb1946, Sep 4, 2009.

1. mrb1946

mrb1946 Active Member

Apr 1, 2009
    I am building a new guitar and I am unsure on which type of tuning machines to get. I am interested in the Sperzel TrimLok tuners as well as the Planet Waves Auto-Trim tuners. If I were to go with one of these tuners, would I still be able to tune to drop D and drop C as well as some other tunings?
  2. song4gabriel

song4gabriel Active Member

Mar 27, 2007
    NY, USA
    Home Page:
    yes-they will work just like any other tuner
  3. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Moderator Resource Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Western Pennsylvania, USA
    A locking nut makes it a hassle to alternate between standard tuning / drop D / drop C.
    But I can't see any reason locking tuners should be a problem for you.

As I understand it, the Sperzel tuners just eliminate the tedious part of getting the string onto the post.
  4. cfaalm

cfaalm Active Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Home Page:
    Like dvdhawk said, the tuners you mention will make it easier than the ones that require a lock nut.

What the Sperzels also do is reduce the number of windings around the post. This should stabilize your tuning faster than with oridnary tuners. A lot of it comes down then on the nut. It has to fit the string perfectly and allow a bit of movement. I was recommended to take of the tension guides too as they can obstruct string movement and cause detuning.

I can detune to drop D or drop C if I want to. I use 011-049. Anthing in that range or thicker will work.