1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

lurker seeking some advice

Discussion in 'Recording' started by bencrud, Dec 22, 2003.

1. bencrud

bencrud Guest

i love all the info i have found here and am looking for some pro advice or comments on mobile recording. i use a little us122 to do live recording to my laptop now but have had people wanting more involved recordings that i don't have room for in my home studio. if you where going to get a mobile set up, what do you like? i am contemplating motu 828 vs layla, and then a digital mixer vs focusrite octopre and native mixing. i like the idea of having a mixer but don't want all the cables and mess. thanks for your comments :w: budget around 2,000..
  2. bencrud

bencrud Guest

maybe this is a beter question. i know lots of you guys do some moblie audio. what does your front end consist of?
  3. Fozz

Fozz Active Member

Jun 4, 2001
    Williamsville, NY
    Home Page:
    I don't have any first hand experience, but in the reading I have been doing it seems that folks feel that Motu equipment doesn't get along with Intel/Amd/Windows where as the Mac folks are happy. If you don't have a Mac and want Motu stuff make sure you find someone else with a similar setup as what you are thinking of and that they are happy

For the mixer approach, I was just looking at the January issue of Keyboard. It has ads for Yamaha's 01x (http://www.01xray.com/home/index.html) and Tascam's FW-1884 (http://www.tascam.com/product_info.php?pid=269&nav=computer_recording)

I've been doing a little mobile recording but just of people talking (aural history). I spent a lot of time trying to decide between all in one units like the Yamaha aw16g and the Korg D1600 etc versus using my PC. I ended up just getting a two channel mic pre and borrowing a DAT recorder. If I need more channels I'll probably start with the RME Multiface or Digiface.
  4. MisterBlue

MisterBlue Guest

I would also point you towards the RME soundcards and converters/external boxes. They are not the highest end but they beat the M-Audio and MOTU stuff in performance and sound quality from what I have seen. CPU load and latency with RME soundcards is extremely low (down to 64 samples if your computer can handle it).

Just my opinion.