1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

M-Audio BX8's worth the price??

Discussion in 'Recording' started by DISK, Jan 24, 2005.

1. DISK

DISK Guest

I have been looking for some monitors for awhile now and since money is always an issue, I have been patient in my looking. I just checked up on the price of the M-Audio BX8's at Musicians Friend and they have just went from $479 to $399. I have been looking pretty hard at these as well as the Behringers with the 8" woofer.

Which ones would be the better deal?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/603702/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/600590/

Thanks for any input. I am finally ready to purchase a pair of monitors and $400 is about as much as I can possibly spend.

2. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Well-Known Member

Heard both - BX8's. Very decent for the bucks.

3. DISK

DISK Guest

awesome, thanks for the input. I have only heard the M-Audio BX5's, and while I thought they sounded good, they were lacking a little in the low end. I'll have to jump on this and try and get the BX8's before they go back up in price!

4. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Well-Known Member

Take care when reading the manual... The "Acoustic Space" switch works in reverse of what you'd normally think (-4 = the MOST low end, not the least).

This is why a lot of people say that the BX8's seem anemic for an 8 incher.

5. Johnjm22

Johnjm22 Guest

I mix on the Bx8's and I'm very happy with them.

6. DISK

DISK Guest

thanks for the advice. I'll definitely read the manual for setting them up, but you just saved me some "head scratching time"!

:roll:

7. maintiger

maintiger Well-Known Member

I have the Bx8's and they are pretty decent

8. David French

David French Well-Known Member

Here's a review for you.

9. DISK

DISK Guest

Thanks for the link David!

10. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

I agree, I have them also and they work well for me. The switches for tailoring the sound are pretty useful when your accoustics aren't ideal.

11. Reggie

Reggie Well-Known Member

Wonder if anyone has experience using their Sub with the BX8's. I am thinking about getting one because I still have a little trouble figuring out the low freq's with just the nearfields.

12. DISK

DISK Guest

supposedly, the the low end response goes all the way to 37hz on the BX8's. Isn't that pretty good? Some of the other "cheap" studio monitors that I was looking at stated a bottom end freq response of 50hz.

13. Reggie

Reggie Well-Known Member

Yeah, they go down that low; but you have to turn up pretty loud to hear the low lows in a full mix. And in doing this the highs coming from the tweeters will be killing you by then. Also, if you just turn up the bass so the bass is loud like your home stereo, then you have overdone the volume of the bass with respect to the rest of the mix. If I remember right, the freq response chart is rolling off quite a bit by the time it reaches 37 hz; so it's not exactly +/- a db or so on the far low end. I'll check my chart when I get home. But don't get me wrong, they put out a good full spectrum of sound.

Anyway, I was thinking a sub would help me hear those lows better in the mix.