1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

M-Audio FW-410 doesn't work anymore

Discussion in 'Recording' started by zeep, Jul 8, 2007.

1. zeep

zeep Guest

Due to a possible hotswap (i guess) the M-Audio FW410 now doesn't work anymore. Normally when windows starts up the FW-410 also boots and is ready for use when windows has fully loaded.

Now windows doesn't see the fw-410 anymore. The blue light keeps blinking which, according to m-audio support, means that the device is not recognized.

I tried reinstalling it, following m-audio's suggestions, but it's just now working. I also tried to install it on another pc, still not working.

So the blue light just keeps blinking and windows just doesn't recognize the m-audio anymore.

I will have to buy a new interface tomorrow. Probably i'll get the same fw-410 because i *know* how it works and all my software runs good with it.

Can somebody give me some advice on what else i can try with the fw-410? Or perhaps what other interface i should get instead?

I'm sorry if this post sounds a bit desperate, i really can't hide my frustration because i have work to finish and now i can't do anything. :(
  2. RichS

RichS Active Member

May 22, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    2 suggestions...

Check your user manual, or mfg.'s website (or call tech support) for a "hard reset" procedure for the interface. (Usually consists of holding some combination of buttons or switches while you restart the box.) Sometimes when you hot-swap, it confuses the hardware.

Check the mfg.'s website for any firmware updates or updated drivers.

Good luck.
  3. Space

Space Distinguished Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Sounds to me like you may be thinking you did a boo-boo and did not power down the unit before you did whatever you may have done with it?

That's a lot of juice to keep live when you plug/unplug things.

If it isn't working I'd just run with that first thang:)
    It sounds like it is burnt.
  4. zeep

zeep Guest

Thanks for your replies. I called tech support and there sadly isn't a hard reset option, i will have to send the interface back to them (UK) and probably wait a x amount of weeks..

I couldn't get a new one on monday so i hope today, tuesday, i will find one.

In the mean time i've checked out the specs for some other nice audio interfaces and some are really nice looking. Quite possibly i'll sell/trade the fw-410 in some months and go for a alesis io14, tc konnect 24d or focusrite sapphire le. But i want to hear them first.
  5. zeep

zeep Guest

Well i'm testdriving the Focusrite Sapphire LE now.
    -Sound quality is good.
    -Easy install.
    -Nice solid device.

-The mixer window is difficult to use. Sliders don't show values and don't 'snap' in center or 0db positions.
    -Mixer window doesn't minimize to tray.
    -I hear ticks now and then. Which is a first for me.

Just thought i post my findings. In any case it'll do for now until the store gets the alesis or tc konnect.