1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Mac G5 PCI-bus

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Marcus Black, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Marcus Black

Marcus Black Guest

Heard something about the pci-slots in the new G5 macs, that they are of a new standard and that "older" pci-cards (audiointerfaces, UAD-1, powercore...) won´t work and have to be replaced/updated. Anyone know if this is true ?

2. idiophone

idiophone Guest

I know for a fact that the UAD-1 will fit. My MOTU PCI-424 won't fit, though.

3. rikard

rikard Guest

HI!
    Yes it's true that some cards needs to bee sent in for modification. I just had to send my Rme Hammerfall 9652 for modification. Uad will work and the've just relased a betaversion of the osx driver.

4. mjones4th

mjones4th Active Member

Its a new standard. PCI-X is used in the G5 1.8 and up models.

Some regular PCi models will work and some won't. Most manufacturers will publish whether or not their card works in due time. Supposedly my Delta66 will work, but I dunno, b/c I don't have a G5!

The PCI bus could support cards that needed a 3.3V or 5V power supply, while PCI-X supports only 3.3V cards. I don't know if that's the only niggle, but that is one of them.

mitz