1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Mac OS X Tiger - Anybody roadtested?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Jeemy, Apr 27, 2005.

  1. Jeemy

    Jeemy Well-Known Member

    I must confess that although I am starting this thread I haven't any idea nor inclination to learn through hard work, how Tiger is gonna affect music and Core Audio performance.

    I am just asking if anybody esle does, cause my day job is a design firm, and we have to be up with the Joneses so are getting a caseload of Tigers (arf) by the end of the week, and I am just wondering if its worth shoving on the G5 at the studio.

    Knowledge, anyone?
     
  2. maintiger

    maintiger Well-Known Member

    over at unicornation the Dp'ers are saying that it won't affect Digital perforner in a negative way- I'm gonna wait before I install it for feedback though, as my system is very stable now... if you take the plunge, please let us know-
     
  3. Jeemy

    Jeemy Well-Known Member

    i am gonna withhold judgement. not tried a forum called macmusic yet but looks good, reckon info might reside there....

    at the end of the day, if it ain't broke....seems to be all glitz, if they could strip it down to unix bare a la windows 2000 advanced server, now that would be a system!
     
  4. Jeemy

    Jeemy Well-Known Member

    Well Xav I defected for a second and gleaned the following:

    You can use the MIDI network driver to send and receive MIDI information between computers over a network. For example, if you have a music studio with several computers connected to MIDI interfaces, keyboards, synthesizers and such, you can use the MIDI network driver to route the data from these devices to and from your computers over an Ethernet network. Normally, you might need to purchase MIDI interfaces for your devices and connect the devices with cables. With the MIDI network driver, you can have a central computer act as a "master" sending and receiving MIDI data over the network to other computers and their connected MIDI devices.

    ****

    No Core Audio or stability mentioned. I could give a hoot about MIDI instruments. If I wanted instruments that played themselves I would invest in a pedal-driven euphonium.

    Anybody?
     
  5. maintiger

    maintiger Well-Known Member

    well jeemy, i believe you will also be able to network macs and take some of the load off the master computer. I know that you can also set one up to run your VI's- I am leaning towards getting a G5 myself but I am not keeping my G4 when I do. By the way, there are some deals happening on macs in the apple store- just type sale on the search engine and they show up as 'refurbished' While they are or not, i don't know, but I've seen today 2.5 G5's as low as $1699- i supposed they are getting rid of them and they won't last long- I really should get me one but I just bough a lap top....
     
  6. McCheese

    McCheese Well-Known Member

    Yeah, I've done the 'bleeding edge' upgrade thing enough times to realize it's best to wait at least a month or so, if not more before upgrading OS's. I don't even patch for at least 2 weeks unless it's something critical. You may not have problems, but then again, reinstalling and patching back up to 10.3.2.5.3.Q.6 can take hours and hours, and you may not realize you need to do it right off the bat.

    I say let someone else be the guinea pig if your computer is running fine as-is.
     
  7. Jeemy

    Jeemy Well-Known Member

    Xav you do know about the Apple refurb store right? Over here it is open, online, Wednesdays only for some reason, and they sell machines that were originally faulty but have had the fault fixed, all aspects tested and full warranty. To my mind that makes them a safer bet than a new machine which may not have been as rigorously tested.

    I got a dual 2Ghz G5 for GBO £1300, no faults yet, touch wood...
     
  8. maintiger

    maintiger Well-Known Member

    yeah, that's where I got my ibook and I'm really happy with it- Right now they have 1.8's for $1699, 2.0s for $1899 and 2.5s for $2299- the 2.5s are really tempting...

    http://
     
  9. axel

    axel Guest

    if your system runs, i say wait untill it is proven being alright, i still run 10.3.7 and everything is fine why upgrade??? (i have heard bad issues about 10.3.8!) i also swapped back to some older versions of some plugs they just perform better... mostly in terms of stability!
    a.
     
  10. henryrobinett

    henryrobinett Active Member

    I did the rare thing for me and jumped right in. Dual 2.7 G5 with Tiger. The only thing that's broke is the UAD-1. I just have to wait for them to fix it. The word is it's working they just aren't announcing when it's being released. I really, really like it. I'm pretty amazed. But then again I'm coming from a Dual 450-jaguar. My second is a Powerbook 1gz alum with Panther. This was a speed bump from heaven.
     
  11. o2x

    o2x Active Member

    I'm just hoping they've sorted out some of the queer foibles of AMF.
     

Share This Page