1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Mac Viruses?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by hueseph, Feb 14, 2007.

1. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

So I noticed that Smith Micro now has an Anti-Virus software for Mac. So does this mean that someone has begun writing viruses for OS X? Who are these virus creators and why do they do it?

What I really want to know is who pays these guys to write viruses? Because, really, why would anyone write a virus? Trojans I can understand. Info snoops and identity thieves sure. But, a virus that intentionally crashes your computer? Why? Who gains anything by that? Sorry, I'm just venting, but I think if the software company's would stop paying people to write mindless viruses, we wouldn't have to buy their lame software.....uh...wait.......hmmmmm?

2. VonRocK

VonRocK Active Member

There are NO viruses for OS X, and it's not just a matter of somebody getting around to writing them. The only reason that you would run anti virus software on a mac is to prevent you from spreading known viruses to other operating systems (Windows).

There are many reasons why somebody would want to write a virus. Social deviants can be found in all aspects of life. I doubt very much that anybody gets paid to write a virus.

3. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

There are indeed virus's out there for OSX as well as all other OS's. They just don't get spread as easily because of the relativley small number of Mac's out there.

A virus writer wants to have the biggest impact he can and because PC's are the dominant platform they are chosen for such attacks. Mac's escape unscathed only because they not the popular platform. Apples recent ad campaign wants you to believe that a Mac is somehow imune to virus's and other attacks when really the opposite is true. Windows has been attacked for so long that many of it's security issues have been corrected or at least recognized. The Mac OS's on the other hand have really never been tested. BTW the Mac OS's are nothing more than Unix w/ a GUI.

As to why people write virus's, to be destructive of course. Just like the vandals who write graffitti or start fires or whatever they want there work noticed so they pick something big enough to be noticed. Attacking Mac's will get you about as much attention as lighting matches and calling yourself an arsonist.

4. Scoobie

Scoobie Active Member

here's a few.........OSX/Leap-A, OSX/Oompa-A those where found back in Feb. 2006

another one...........OSX/Inqtana-A thats one was from 2005

Big_D said.........

Attacking Mac's will get you about as much attention as lighting matches and calling yourself an arsonist.

That's funny I don't care who you are.....

Peace........Scoobie

5. VonRocK

VonRocK Active Member

This is the same item, with different names. At best you could call it a trojan that does nothing. Proof of concept, perhaps. More like a malicious application. You had to download it, uncompress it, and install it (which requires adim access and a password). This type of program can be easily written for any unix based OS.

A blue tooth proof of concept worm that was never found in the wild.

With all due respect Big_D, can you provide a sample of just one virus for OSX?

I'm sick of this. Show us one freaking virus for Mac OSX that is out there or has been out there infecting machines that I need to run anti virus software so that I don't get infected! It does not exist. Quit making $*^t up!

6. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

Well with all due respect Scoobie provided several examples. If your perception of them is that they are not really viruses because they don't cause real harm so be it but they do exist. "Proof of concept" as you call it is exactly that and concept has a way of becoming reality.

The Leap.A (aka Oompa-Loompa) infects applications in Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) running on PowerPC processors. Upon infection, Leap.A (aka Oompa-Loompa) sends itself to the infected user's contacts via iChat.

Sure sounds like a virus to me and it doesn't require you to "download it, uncompress it, and install it " as you claim. Here's the link on it
    http://antivirus.about.com/od/macintoshresource/p/oompa.htm
    Now who's "making $*^t up"?

Would you still call it "Proof of concept" if it were a PC running Windows? I doubt it.

Exactly what is it your sick of? I know I'm sick of the Apple ads that perpetuate PC/MAC stereotypes from the 80's? Do you believe those ads?

The point of my original post was to show that all platforms are vulnerable to attack, not to debate viral symantecs. Windows is attacked because it is the Big Dog like it or not.

I happen to like all kinds of computers but I'm not foolish enough to think that any of them are invulnerable. You shouldn't either.

7. drumist69

drumist69 Active Member

Bravo! End of story...

8. VonRocK

VonRocK Active Member

You are correct. I am wrong. I apologize for my incessant mac ranting. I just wanted to justify spending a boatload more money for such a virused piece of junk operating system running on hardware that I could have got at half the price (not to mention all the FREE(ahem) software!), so I was trying to take it out on you.

I realize the error of my ways and will be switching back to windows right away. I can hardly wait to try out VISTA!

Macs are way more expensive. They have NO software. THEY GET HACKED ALL THE TIME!!!! and generally just suck. Nothing just works.

Remember, if you want to do any audio recording at all, DON'T get a mac.

Oh, yeah, and to answer the original question. YES! THERE ARE ALL SORTS OF VIRUSES FOR THE MAC. I can only find one trojan that couldnt actually do anything, but that's close enough. Everbody else keeps warning me about them all. SO after a year of running this mac without a fire wall or antivirus software, I figure I'd better get smart and ace this machine for a really secure virus free operating system like Windows Vista.

9. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

Funny VonRocK, I like it ! :lol:

I still don't think you get the gist of what I'm saying. This IS NOT an attack on MAC's, I happen to like them very much! They do many things very well (except gaming) and OSX is a very stable and secure OS. XP is also a very good OS but it gets a bad rap because every hacker and virus writer on the planet tries to attack it. If Apple was on top it would it would be the OS everyone was gunning for. BTW I wouldn't touch Vista with a 10 foot pole either.

My point was never to put down Mac's, it was to get you and others who use Macs to realize they are not invulnerable. Just because the threat is small doesn't mean it's non existent. Mac's have been attacked in the past and will be again in the future. If some @#$%^*& decides he hates Macs and puts a virus out there and you lose all of your music or whatever, how will you feel then? I hope you backup because Macs are not imunne to failure either. I personally don't put my DAW's on the internet but that's just me.

I just hope you to take off the Rose colored glasses and realize NOTHING is 100% safe. Not even a MAC

10. VonRocK

VonRocK Active Member

You are using the argument that because Macs are a small market share, virus writers don't write viruses for them, I know. I've heard it all before.

That is a really old argument. Doesnt matter though. One day a virus writer will get around to bother writing a virus for the mac and I'll loose all my data, and then I'll realize that you are right. But I digress. You have allready pointed out SEVERAL viri for the mac.

All sarcasm aside, Backing up critical data is essential. Anybody, let alone a proffessional, would an absolute fool not to, regardless of hardware, or OS.

11. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Well-Known Member

True, but I won't be buying any virus software until the the virii show up in the eco-system.

The last time I had virus protection on my Mac was 95', 96'.

8)

12. freesignal

freesignal Active Member

I am also a Mac user since May of 2006. I would like to say thanks to Vonrock for opening my eyes so that I can now see the errors of my ways. I'm going to take this iMac to the dumpster immediately after this message. Damn it's convienent all-in-one design and light weight that makes it to where I only have to make one trip down the 3 flights of stairs and 100 feet from my apartment to the dumpster. Thanks again Vonrock, you are a lifesaver!

13. gdoubleyou

If you didn't like the OS you could have easily made it a Linux machine.
    http://penguinppc.org/

:cool: :p 8)

14. yzfwv

yzfwv Guest

Kind of funny...When is the last time you've seen a large corporation with tons of important data keeping it on an Apple computer? or Apple Server. Not as much as a Windows Server or Unix based system....

I think the first effective worms will be written when a company stores millions of people's credit card information on an Apple server, and not the layout for the next day's paper...

15. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

...or the next hit cd, or next month's issue of whatever magazine, or the next major movie.

Granted, there are a lot more PC's in media these days but Mac still has a stronghold in the industry for a reason. One may be the one that you suggested. Why would anyone subject their 6 hour, 6 day or 6 month project to the possiblity of viruses or trojans?

There aren't many or any for that matter, viruses targeting unix based systems that I know of. Wait, OSX is unix based isn't it?

16. gdoubleyou

Until 1998 Adobe was all Mac, used to go to my wife's office and marvel at all the Macs.

8)

17. sheet

sheet Well-Known Member

Gee, there are lots of major universities and corporations that do. The only reason the government doesn't is that they are about 20 years behind.

My father was an architect for FAA facilities, in which they were installing Pentiums(!) just a few years ago. Their system is old and antiquated.

18. Randyman...

Randyman... Well-Known Member

I personally could care less, but I heard a very savvy Security Guru talking about Mac's. It was Marc Maiffret of eEye Digital Security. This guy knows his stuff. He is a security innovator, but does not make any Mac software, so he has nothing to gain by fudging the truth for sales purposes.

He indicated that Mac's are indeed as vunerable as any OS, but as we know, no one will waste 3 weeks writing spyware for a Mac that MIGHT generate 1/100th the revenue that one would get from working for 3 weeks on XP/Vista spyware. 3 Weeks of work for $100, or 3 weeks of work for $100,000? Not a hard choice to make in my eyes.

Mac IS currently secure, but by obscurity. They have ridden on this concept for as long as I can remember (and they have never gone above 5% marketshare in that same timeframe). They can claim "Superior Security" because that is the currently the case.

Marc Maiffret clearly stated that if Mac wants to continue their title as "Most Secure OS", then they need to start addressing these issues NOW, so when they FINALLY get to a good portion of the marketshare, they really WILL be "The Most Secure OS". If they rely on security by obscurity, AND get a good portion of the Marketshare, it will spell Virus City for Macs...

Marc has been a hacker since his early days, and was actually raided by the FBI back in high-school. He is a "Hackers' Hacker" not some Microsoft wanker. He speaks the truth from a VERY deep background of hacking al forms of OS's.

Macs ARE secure - by obscurity. How long this will last once Macs get 10% marketshare is questionable.

Who cares? I run 5 XP Machines, and Viruses are not a problem for me. I got bit back in the old days when I didn't know what I was doing (DL'ing stuff I should NOT have been DL'ing, etc), and I have gotten Spyware once or twice in 4 years. It is all in your surfing/downloading habits more than your machine and how many A/V programs you run.

:cool:

19. VonRocK

VonRocK Active Member

Security via obscurity is a Myth.

Somebody once told me about Santa Clause. I believed them.

I also believe your signature. At least you got something right in your post!

Read This

20. Randyman...

Randyman... Well-Known Member