1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Mackie 1402-VLZ or Behringer 1604a for monitoring?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by imissthewar, Jun 21, 2004.

1. imissthewar

imissthewar Guest

I'm getting a digi002 rack system to do some demo recordings. Someone suggested I get a 1402-VLZ on the cheap for monitoring. These go for around $250, but money is tight. The Behringer seems similarly featured, and since the preamps (which I assume to be the main difference) are not important, can I just go for the Behringer?

Also, what is a good headphone amp system?

2. anodized

anodized Guest

Don't support Behringer.

3. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

The Mackie will be better built but the Behringer will have more features like aux sends.

Most of Behringers designs are pretty much rip off reverse engineered clones of Mackies (and others) stuff, executed at a lower cost.

In otherwords, Behringer takes a Mackie design and asks themslves "How can we manufacturer and market this item for less than the original designers did?" They already have an advantage because they didn't pay for the R&D but in practice I can say the Behringer stuff is not a well built as Mackies.

For a good phone amp, I recommend the Rane HP6 ... a bit costly but loud and sturdy. I have 2 that I have owned for almost 10 years. They have never missed a beat but have been loud enough to blow out plenty of headsets..

4. JoeH

JoeH Well-Known Member

My vote is for the Mackie as well. Behringer is not something I would support or use, for all the reasons stated already.

The 1402 VLZ is probably one of the best bangs for the buck out there, for features and cost.