1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Mackie, best cheap mixer?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by JSRockit, Nov 22, 2005.

1. JSRockit

JSRockit Guest

What is the "best" mixer (not DJ style) under $200? and under $100? Of course I am only looking for opinions.

2. DrivenOne

DrivenOne Guest

I have an Alesis 12 R. The thing kicks ass and only takes up 3 rack spaces. The ONLY complaint I have about it is that the knobs have colored tips and they sometimes come off.

It has 8 mono strips with inserts, 2 stereo strips, and phantom power.

It's great for Home or small project studios and works great for live situations as well. A great little mixer!

You can find them on e-bay relatively easily (where I got mine for about 150) as well as your usual online music sources. Zzounds is asking almost double what I paid. 8)

3. Thomas W. Bethel

Thomas W. Bethel Well-Known Member

A used Mackie?

Ebay seems to have a lot of them for sale at really cheap prices

Behringer is a Mackie knock off and some of their new mixers aren't half bad. Not exactly the best in the world but serviceable.

4. Boltino

Boltino Guest

I second Thomas's suggestion of a used Mackie. I've loved every mackie board I've ever used - great value. Personally, I'd stay away from Be*ringer stuff.

Wes

5. JSRockit

JSRockit Guest

I'm using a behringer...and don't like it. I'm thinking maybe a soundcraft compact 4.

6. Thomas W. Bethel

Before you spend any more money what is it that you don't like about the Behringer?

7. JSRockit

JSRockit Guest

Channel Bleed and Non Transparent sound

8. Thomas W. Bethel

I think you are looking for something that is hard to find a "cheap" mixer with good specificaitons and good sound. They normally do not come together. Basic suggestion save your money and save up for a better mixer. I can say from personal experience that the Mackie 1640 Onyx is one of the better all around mixers you can buy. With the firewire port and the software it makes a very nice console/ recording setup for very little money. If you want to stay within your "budget" then look for a used Mackie on Ebay or maybe at your local retailer. The cheaper new Soundcraft boards are not much better than what you have. I recently saw at our local GC a very nice older Soundcraft board for less than $600.00. It was probably worth $6000.00 when new. It was a bit beat up and some of the knobs were missing but it looked like it had been well cared for just used a lot. All the lights came on and the unit had a seperate power supply.

Just a suggestion.

9. manthe

manthe Guest

Don't overlook the Yamaha MG series in your research. I used a MG12/4 for a few years until I upgraded. Their built like tanks, no channel bleed and the sound is reasonably transparent.

10. me personally, i like the yamaha mg series, i have a mg16/4, haven't a problem with it yet and i've had it for about 5 or 6 months now.

11. FoundSounds

FoundSounds Guest

Yes, I think this is an excellent suggestion. The 1202s are fairly inexpensive used.

I had a behringer 1202 copy that was absolutely atrocious which I eventually sold. The sound was awful. If you are going to buy a cheap mixer at least get one that you can actually use.

12. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Active Member

I use a Yamaha MG 12/4 for monitoring and it is quiet, reliable, and flexible. I've had no problems in 2 1/2 yrs.