1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Mackie or Yamaha Mixer?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by JoeLouis, Mar 3, 2009.

1. JoeLouis

JoeLouis Guest

Hi everyone,

I have a Pro Tools LE based Home Studio. My old Yamaha 02R console died, then, I’m looking for a new mixer in the $600 -$800 range. I really need the mixer just for canalize everything to my MBox2 Pro. I have some external board (preamp, compressor), and I’ll use plug-ins for mixing. Then, I don’t need pres, dynamic, effects in the console (I never used them in my 02R), just canalize all the lines through it. (I don’t record more than 2 tracks at a time, and I work mainly with MIDI, some guitar and vocals). I also have a Patch Bay.

The following is what I need to canalize through the console:

--------------------------INS----OUTS
    8 synth modules ...........16
    3 pre/dynamics..............2.........2
    2 decks (Dats, etc).........4.........4
    MBox............................4.........4
    Direct Box/Mic................2
    Monitor....................................2
    Headphones Box.......................2

I’ve read about the Yamaha MG24 and the Mackie 1604 Vlz (?)

Is it OK if I run all my synth modules through an old Roland line mixer I have, before to go to the main Mixer?

I know just the basic for record/ and mix (I’m a producer songwriter), then tech matters are Chinese to me. (Be patient, please).

Thanx in advance for any advice.

2. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

If you don't want a PT interface with more channels, you can use a Mackie Onyx mixer to track into a different DAW and then import those wave files into PT. 600-800 might only get you an 8 channel Tascam firewire pre or similar. The Onyx pre's are far superior to the MBox for sure though IMO.