making a louder CD???????

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by kingsley, Jun 30, 2001.

1. kingsley

kingsley Guest

I enjoyed all the posts on the loudness topic but i one question, How do you do it! I record on Performer with good pre's, converters, mikes and are fairly happy with my mixes. Now the only equipment i have for mastering is softwear (waves 3.0 and the TC stuff). The best I found was the C4 muli comp. going to the L1 limiter. Even if i put the limiter to the max, i'm still ways away from any comercial cd. Can somone explain what im missing. Where can i get more volume without smasing the dynamics?
    Thank You,

bruce

2. MPlancke

MPlancke Member

Originally posted by kingsley:
    I enjoyed all the posts on the loudness topic but i one question, How do you do it!

Recording to analog tape is one good way. Of course that's got nothing to do with mastering, well maybe it does. <bg>

3. Jon Best

Jon Best Active Member

Originally posted by kingsley:

<big snip>

Where can i get more volume without smasing the dynamics?
    Thank You,

bruce

Well, really, you can't. None of those super hot CD's *have* any dynamics. That being said, you could try a few things- First, mix very evenly- use some compression in mixing, but pay attention to actual levels as well- smooth out the mix more with fader moves/automation than compression across the board. Make sure the bottom is clear and present, but not muddy. Then, when mastering; first compressor with a threshold really far down (-30 to -40), ratio between 1.1 and 1.2 to 1, and medium long attack and release. Get 2-6 dB of gain reduction from that one, and pull out some of the bottom end that will push a compressor harder. Second compressor a little higher ratio, faster attack and release, and higher threshold. Another few dB from that. EQ to taste if you need to- less bottom and more top will lend itself to a louder CD. Finally, a good lookahead peak limiter. Depending on what quality we're talking about, you can get anywhere from 1 to 6ish more dB from this stage. I'd try at least the Waves plugins for this. Then just play with all the settings and get a feel for how it's all interacting.

Now, I am not a mastering engineer, and I don't necessarily think that the above exercise of excess will always produce a decent _sounding_ CD, but it'll be loud. The good comes with the guy turning the knobs!

4. audiowkstation

audiowkstation Active Member

Here is an article that you should read.Katz article.