1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Manley ELOP transformers?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by mallardduckman, Jun 11, 2010.

1. mallardduckman

mallardduckman Active Member

Oct 1, 2004
    Hello all! I'm trying to sell my Manley ELOP compressor and I keep getting this question from potential buyers - "Transformers?"

That's it, that's all they ask, just, "transformers?".

I have no idea what they mean by this. I assume it's "does your Manley ELOP have transformers", or, "what kind of transformers does your ELOP have". I've tried responding and asking what they mean, but no one responds back. I guess they think if I don't have this information I'm not a very credible seller. Fair enough. Looking in the manual for the unit it says the XLR inputs have "Transformer Couple Input" and the 1/4" says "disconnects transformer and xlr input".

So I guess it has transformers...can anyone shed some light on why this is so important?

Thanks so much..
  2. Boswell

Boswell Distinguished Moderator Resource Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Home Page:
    The early versions of the blue-faced ELOP (serial numbers beginning MANELOP-) had unbalanced inputs and no transformers. Later versions (serial numbers beginning MELOPB-) had balanced XLR inputs with transformers. Potential buyers need to know which model you have for sale. Iron-heads need to know in addition which make of transformer is fitted.
  3. mallardduckman

mallardduckman Active Member

Oct 1, 2004
    Thank you! I will have to talk to Manley, my serial # is MANELOP but there are both balanced xlr and 1/4" unbalanced as well...looks like I have both.