Master Fader at unity gain?

Discussion in 'Tracking / Mixing / Editing' started by Sir Dingo, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Sir Dingo

Sir Dingo Guest

During final mixdown to 2-track - is there any loss of sonic quality if the master fader on the console is not at 0dB?

I think I'm hearing a slight degradation in sound, but maybe it's just me?

Thanks, Dingo

2. realdynamix

realdynamix Well-Known Member

:) Howdy stranger! On your killer board? I can't imagine! But I do notice a reduction of quality on my stand alone with respect to the output fader, if I reduce it too much. It seems to like to be around -3db to 0.

--Rick (db), nice to see you here, how is the old gang? ;)

3. Recording Engineer

Recording Engineer Active Member

With my Mackie SR32*4-VLZPRO, I find that if I leave the master fader at around Unity and try to adjust and reajust the channel faders for a good level going to the 2-track recorder, my noise-floor is thru the roof! But if I don't worry about the fader position on the channels and simply turn-down the master fader as low as needed to get a good level to the 2-track, then my noise-floor is fine. My noise-floor ends-up being somewhere between -70dB and -80dB from 0dB Full Scale.

Oddly enough, I believe this is for the most part, the complete opposite of what is usually recommended, but it is what has worked for me with the Mackie I have.

4. Doublehelix

Doublehelix Well-Known Member

OK...this is a great topic, since I have been having similar discussions with my colleagues for a while.

I am also of the philosophy that says keep the master fader at unity.

Here is a twist however for those of us that record to a DAW, but want to mix in the analog domain:

I say to keep *all* the faders at unity within my DAW, and then bus each channel to a separate fader on my mixer, and then adjust each mixer channel fader while keeping the master fader at unity.

Any math within the DAW seems counter-productive to mixing (summing) outside of the DAW.

5. bluefunk

bluefunk Guest

Forgive me for this rudimentary question, but could someone define unity in terms of mixing?

6. Doublehelix

Doublehelix Well-Known Member

This means setting the fader at 0 dB... (close to the top of the travel)...no cut, and no boost.