1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Master outs on my mixer have a higher gain rating than...

Discussion in 'Recording' started by bialystok, Jul 2, 2005.

1. bialystok

bialystok Guest

I have a denon dj mixer with balanced XLR output jacks operating at a +4dB gain level. I have these jacks connected to the balanced XLR inputs on my Edirol UA101 usb audio interface which according to the manual are rated at -10dB. I have tried recording a mix from my mixer into Sonar through the UA101 and it was successful and sounds great. My worry is this: since these the Master outs on my mixer have a higher gain rating than the XLR inputs on the interface do I run the risk of causing damage to the interface? Please let me know. Thanks!
  2. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2001
    probably won't damage thing but you may have more level than you need and may have clipping

a simple resistive pad could solve any problems
    they arise

you didn't say which mixer so I can't look up the specs

the Edirol UA101 USB Audio Interface

quote from site
    All Balanced I/O
    The UA-101 offers all balanced inputs and outputs with input level selection switches on inputs 3-8, offering either +4dBu or -10dBu levels.
  3. bialystok

bialystok Guest

its the dn-x1500. What is a resistive "pad"?? Is it hardware?
  4. schizojames

schizojames Active Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Home Page:
    A pad is a button or switch, usually found on a preamp, that attenuates the signal by -10 or -20dB typically. This is a little overkill for your situation, so just don't clip your signal and you will be fine...same goes -10dB outputs.
  5. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2001

spec sheet doesn't give info fo max level output but does give a nominal level of +4dBu(1.23V) 150ohms

You should have no trouble with both units at +4 balanced

A simple resistive pad can also be inside a simple XL to XL adapter
  6. CoyoteTrax

CoyoteTrax Well-Known Member

May 25, 2005
    Home Page:
    As long as you're looking at around a -70 noise floor in Sonar then you know you're not introducing unnecessary hiss to the recording. The feature of level adjustments between consumer level and pro level input and output have more to do with matching voltage expectations between outboard equipment. So if you're not hearing "hiss" and you have a nice noise floor in Sonar then you're good to go.