1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

mastering a\d converters ...

Discussion in 'Converters / Interfaces' started by TanTan, Nov 5, 2004.

1. TanTan

TanTan Distinguished Member

Hi all ,

i want your opinion about the best sounding a\d d\a converters on the market these days ?

i'm a recording \ mastering engineer and i'm using outboard gear (tube eq's and compression) when i master and i'm using the rme a\d's and they are good converters ,i am satisfied with their resaults in recordings , but in mastering they are ok ,i'm sure there are better ones

2. Ben Godin

Ben Godin Active Member

the Apogee and the Lucid series are my favourite, although there are many good ones.

3. Michael Fossenkemper

Michael Fossenkemper Distinguished past mastering moderator Well-Known Member

Many better, what's your budget?

4. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Well-Known Member

My faves are the Lavry Blue series. Clean and clear unlike any I've heard (except for perhaps the Lavry Gold series... $$$$$).

And at around $2500 for a stereo set (Sync, AD unit, DA unit), it's actually quite a bargain for that kind of perfomance.

5. Thomas W. Bethel

Thomas W. Bethel Well-Known Member

Benchmark just released their ADC-1 to be a complement to their DAC-1. Street price is suppose to be about 1.5K. I am trying to get one to audition. If it is as good as their DAC-1 it should be GREAT.

Here is the info on the unit

alanhayatt@pmi.com

6. TanTan

I never realy thought about budget , so unlimited ? ...

7. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Well-Known Member

Lavry Gold. Not sure of the list price - The "home & HiFi" version DAC unit is around $5,000 used. I was recently offered a Gold series ADC for $5,000 (also used).

8. Ammitsboel

Ammitsboel Member

No body has mentioned Weiss ADC?
    Have any one tried them? Daniel W. seems to think they are better than Lavry and prism... ofcourse one would say, but still...

I will look forward to blow them all away when my new Audio Note ADC arrives. But i don't know the price yet...

Best Regards

9. Michael Fossenkemper

Weiss would be one of my first choices. Lavry gold or blue are excellent. Mytek, Apogee rosetta 200, Prism, Benchmark, DCS, Even the Waves L2 converters sound good. I found that I like a little flavor so I like to have a few to choose from. For the Money, I really like the Apogee Rosetta 200. I think they sound very good, have some great usefull features. If money were no object, then I would look at the Weiss and Lavry.

10. TanTan

Thank you all for your help guys !!!

11. TanTan

The price gap between lavry gold and blue is huge , have you ever a\b them ???

12. joe lambert

joe lambert Distinguished Member

We have many fine converters here from Apogee, Mytek, DB Tech., Lucid and Prism.
    The lucid is a very good sounding converter for the money. Mytek is also great.
    But for me nothing touches the Prism DA2 and AD2 for full rich sound. It does everything I need.

13. Ammitsboel

Ammitsboel Member

Joe, are you using the old ones or the new?

14. joe lambert

There about 4 years old. The Dream converters 96K. I think they are still current. They have the 8 channel converters which are good but not nearly as good sounding as these.

15. Ammitsboel

Ammitsboel Member

The reason i aksed was because I've tested the old ones with the 24bit upgrade, they sound better than many other converters but I felt they made the music "swing" differently and not to my taste. The prism also pushed side effects more "upfront" than they was before going into it.

16. joe lambert

That's odd. I can't imagine why it would make the effects come out more. What I like is what you put in is what you get out.

17. TanTan

well , i've done my research and stil don't have a clue , i will defenetly go for bencmark\ weiss \ lavry .
    the strange thing about it , is there's a huge price differences betwin them , and they all under the same category, i couldn't really realize the difference betwin lavry gold \ blue did someone ever a\b'd the benchmark\weiss\lavry ? or the lavry gold\blue?

THANK YOU !

18. Michael Fossenkemper

well the gold is his better converter. The blue still sounds great but it's expensive to get that extra 10%. Weiss is really good. Benchmark is a great deal for the money. The blue line, you can configure to taste. If you want 2 a/d's and and SRC and a d/a, you can do that. Basically it's set up in modules and you can load to taste. You have to look at the features in each converter. The benchmark is just a d/a, so that's why it's much cheaper. What are you looking to use it for?

19. BobYordan

BobYordan Guest

Hi Folks

I do not want to hi-jack this thread, but I just have some question.

How do you mastering guys integrate your converters into your DAWS?

Eg do these more expensive converters support spdif? Or is spdif
    not a good enough interface?

Cheers
    Bob
    :roll:

20. Thomas W. Bethel

Thomas W. Bethel Well-Known Member

We use AES/EBU interfaces for all our digital connections. We are using an RME digital audio card which supports this format in our DAW and a AES/EBU router from ZSystems which also supports this format to do all our patching.

Hope this helps.