Mastering advice

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by AzzXaA, Dec 27, 2002.

1. AzzXaA

AzzXaA Guest

Hello
    I usesing Emagic logic for recording and mixing.
    I was wondering what type off software is good for mastering?
    And what exactly do I do to master.?

2. audiowkstation

audiowkstation Active Member

It takes over 20 years to really knoiw how to mix and master that mix, You got me so I would not fool with it much for you personally.

Cheap software would be T-racks. It is a cheap 32bit program to introduce you to what a mastered recordsing can resemble. I think it cost about 250 or so.

If you go back to analog via expensive console and really about 10 years of practice you can actually be a good mastering engineer.

The KEY to mastering is to let someone else do it...that is impartial to the sound and they will make a judgement based on sonic intergrety.

I have learned to do both quite effectively, took me over 20 years and I am still using new techniqes.

3. AzzXaA

AzzXaA Guest

ok I think I will look at T-racks...And tnx for your advice

4. A tip .. the more you do the more you learn, no matter what. So, take a mix and don't "master" it. Put it on a cd or dat, whatever.
    Now, take that mix, and try to create what you're thinking about as far as using some of the mastering tools available to you.
    You can do several stabs with a song you like on that mix with different mastering tools used.. take steps, 1st just bring levels up to commercial standards, 2nd add a touch of some EQ curve and then bring the levels up to commercial levels, 3rd compress (ouch) the mix (if ya just gotta!)and bring the levels up, 4th compress and add eq and bring the levels up.
    Mark each one, and if you can not clearly hear all the differences .. don't master it! Instead leave it alone, with perhaps only setting levels to some even level... but listen over and over anywhere you can to each of those stabs until you can ID as best you can which is which, and why you like or don't like it. This could take a good chunk of time .. months perhaps. Then do the same thing with some other tunes. Consistancy, understanding, and confidence will be the result. It will require real personal honesty and time .. just as Bill is saying .. it takes time, you learn, and then you learn more.. if you don't, then stop and do something else; you'll drive yourself crazy if you just guess at it.
    This was my tact, and it has worked well enough for me to know to have the "regular mix" and the "messed with mix" .. and my "mastered mixes" sound very good, but I frankly just dust them with a very few things, knowiung I always have that "regular mix" in the can when it gets asked for.

5. audiowkstation

audiowkstation Active Member

Good advice K-Sound.

Actually,

AzzXaA is the band ONE MOTION from Sweden.

See http:// for their site.

I am working the mixdown and it will be another 3 weeks before that is done and then a week to master it. He has MP3's on his site of demo mixdowns (way too compressed) but it is coming strong.

I think he is so eager to hear what I am doing and learn and I definitly want to keep a log of what I do to help him as he knows a lot of good things in tracking and mixing.

I would love for them to produce finished mixes for me to master and that is where we are heading.

It is fun!!

6. cdmasternow

cdmasternow Guest

Since you think that's the worse advice on the forum, Ill keep to my self, and continue ripping out masters, for the endless client list of recording studios and independent labels, And just to add, I've read the book. Probably didn't even listen to my work before you started giving your opinion.

Everyone thinks they know how to master a track, but how many people spend 8 hours a day 6 days a week mastering audio

7. WaltzMastering

WaltzMastering Active Member

8. Thomas W. Bethel

Thomas W. Bethel Well-Known Member

Guys,

This is some of the WORST advice I have ever seen on this forum.

Sorry but true.

I think you need to read Bob Katz's book Mastering Audio Book before you give any more "advice"

This is NOT a flame but a simple statement of fact.

FWIW and YMMV

By the way if you are giving advice you should use a spell checker and not use Barley (which is a plant) when you mean barely. In mastering the devil is in the details.

9. cdmasternow

cdmasternow Guest

I looked at your webpage, and myspace, I cannot find any mastered audio samples from you anywhere, I really would like to hear what you think would be good advice, or even some albums you have recorded? You must have hundreds of mixes from all the recording experience you have. Im not saying anything about what you know or what you can do, But theres no proof of either, and from the pictures I saw of you two, are you even out of high school yet?

10. cdmasternow

cdmasternow Guest

" sprinkles barley on hot dog "

11. WaltzMastering

WaltzMastering Active Member

While we're looking at web sites, I had a quick peak and found some interesting stuff on yours:

"Prices include set up time,
    .wav files, Master Disc, Reference disc, and a Glass master for replication."

Really? You guys provide glass masters?

What kind of ultrasonic baths are you using?

So I take it you have a a class 100 (ISO 5) or better "clean room"?

"What file type should I send?
    The largest , with the highest bit and sample rate."

Your client does a SRC?

"What can I expect from mastering?
    Your volume levels will match or exceed anything you can compare it to, while maintaining all the dynamics of the original mix."

What kind of gear are you using to do that?

12. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Well-Known Member

(Sprinkles butter on popcorn...) popcorn..gif

13. cdmasternow

cdmasternow Guest

Alot of people that ask about glass masters, they just want a master disc to be replicated from, would you really like me to have that changed?

how about every one stops bashing each other, and anyone who wants to, such as waltz, massive, audio people who first answered me. We all find a great mix we have laying around from somewhere, We exchange the mixes so everyone has identical mixes, then we post the masters up and let the good people of this forum decide?

might even be fun

then everyone can stop cutting each other down, and do what we do best. any takers?

14. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Well-Known Member

I think the point TW was trying to make is that you're NOT creating glass masters but for some reason, you're advertising it.

If you *think* you're creating glass masters, that shows a nearly unfathomable amount of ignorance.

If your *clients think* they're getting glass masters, then it's up to you to correct *their* ignorance. But it very clearly states on your page (evidently) that you're supplying a master disc, a reference disc and a glass master. If that's the case, you should probably answer TW's question about your clean room and ultrasonic equipment.

When did this turn into a pissing contest?

Ed...?

15. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

*sprinkles butter on barley corn*

If there's a girl and a boy about to make out, you know that someones gonna get slaughtered.

16. Thomas W. Bethel

The two people you are referring to were working with me at the time. They no longer work here. I have been a professional audio engineer for over 40 years.

As to samples.....I really don't think someone listening to a before and after MP3 on computer speakers is really any indication of how good my mastering sounds. Potential clients who want to hear samples of the before and after are always welcome to stop by and listen and if needed I can always do a quick mastering of their material while they are here as a demo.

I notice you don't have ANY pictures on your website. So I am assuming a bedroom or basement?

Again a good spell checker does wonders for your image. There is no such word as theres

17. Michael Fossenkemper

Michael Fossenkemper Distinguished past mastering moderator Well-Known Member

Why is this thread from 2002 reborn?

Welcome to the forum CD.

This forum is mostly engineers talking audio with other engineers. Introduce yourself and join in the discussions.

18. Thomas W. Bethel

If you advertise that you provide glass masters then I guess you should provide them. If not then you should take that statement off your website.

Reading your replies with spelling errors and no capitalization makes ME wonder how old you are. You don't have to reply.

As to everyone doing a mastering and posting the results. Brad Blackwood's forum on PSW has a WUMP contest every so often you might want to join in if that is important to you.

19. leopoldolopes

leopoldolopes Active Member

Hello everybody!
    First post here and starting here is a great way to see that there is a lot of audio engineers that have less work to do than post on forum... discussing with each other!

One thing I miss on this forum, immediatly as I registered was one forum that gave musicians and other artists the chance to know audio engineers, mixing and mastering professionals helping out and even colaborating for a tight budget or even for free!

Some of us are light on work... well I'm speaking for myself right now, and I would like to see beyond the existing forum bashing rough and awfull mixes and mastering jobs done by someone who don't know even what this subjects are... a forum with straight colaboartion between who needs who!

That would be something!

I'm willing to do mixing and mastering jobs and other services almost for nthing or nothing at all... Well first things first right!? Th first thing I may give you as a reasong for this is... I love what I do on my studio... and when I have almost nothing to do beyond posting on forum is to help someone... like mixing and mastering their work...

Cheers all!

About the post and question... m8 start reading and searching on the net about mastering... first what it is... which tools you may use!

20. Thomas W. Bethel

Welcome to the forum.

GREAT IDEA! Free mastering and mixing for people who cannot afford it.

If you are doing it all for free how do you support yourself? Are you independently wealthy? Are you Warren Buffet's son or long lost cousin of Bill Gates? Do you work for the government of Portugal or maybe you are the government of Portugal. <GRIN>

I am sure you will have a lot of people taking you up on your offer and I sincerely wish you well.

However as my Grandfather use to say "there is no such thing as a free lunch" so what is the catch??? I see by your website that you are offering to master one song for free and then it says you have reasonable rates for the rest. I guess I understand more. What you are really offering is to do one song for free and then the client starts paying??? Lots of on line mastering studios do that. What makes you different?