mastering on a budget

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by azwethink421, Jan 26, 2005.

1. azwethink421

azwethink421 Guest

I'm only 17 and have been making electronic music for a while and I've been developing a lot in music production, but I am having trouble mastering. Normally I'll run raw recordings through adobe audition, use the eq that comes with the software, and use a voxengo compressor untill I get the sound I want. my main problem is volume. I'm very limited when it comes to cash so I can't afford any hardware so I use software for everything.

if anyone wants to help me out I'd love it. here's a link to a song I "mastered" (still not what I want volume wise). http://www.theoctobershift.com/prohibition_master_mp3.mp3. If anyone has any information on how I could make it louder without peaking i could use the help. I'm supposed to master my own cd for my senior project. a lot of people are saying you have to be experianced, but how am I gonna get experiance without a little help? thanks anyone who will give me some tips.

2. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Well-Known Member

I would direct your attention here...

(Dead Link Removed)

But basically, it notes in the long run, that there truly is NO substitute for practical experience and accumulated knowledge.

Once a mix is brought to 0dBfs, something has to give for it to go louder. What gives and how it gives (EQ, compression, limiting, a combination of any or all - and the settings) will be dictated by the needs of the mix on a track-by-track basis.

You're starting off on the right foot - A clear recording with nice dynamics. To get it "loud" keep in mind that you're going to lose some of those dynamincs.

3. mixandmaster

mixandmaster Active Member

It seems pretty reasonable to me as far as "loudness" goes. If anything, I think you may have too much super lo end. Maybe a simple low shelf EQ starting around 70 BEFORE your final compression would give you some more room to push the compressor/limiter.