Mastering software

Discussion in 'Tracking / Mixing / Editing' started by GZsound, Nov 29, 2001.

1. GZsound

GZsound Active Member

I'm interested in finding mastering software that won't break the bank. I have looked at Sonic Solutions SonicStudio HD but there seem to be no retailers selling it. I also looked at T racks and a couple of others. I'm using a PC with Sonic Foundry Sound Forge and Cool Edit now. What I need is a good two track mastering program...and advice or suggestion would be appreciated.

2. Mongoose

Mongoose Guest

Checkout Ozone, by Izotope..

http://www.izotope.com

3. Jon Best

Jon Best Active Member

Depends on what you mean by breaking the bank- if you even *thought* about the ($10K+, I think) Sonic Solutions setup, then virtually everything else would be cheap...

Sequoia is starting to make it's presence felt as a viable native based, high end mastering setup- that, plus a Waves Gold Bundle, plus computer, would set you back probably $6K, unless you already have the computer. You could probably do with the similar Samplitude 2496 if you can handle the slightly less flexible crossfade editing and a couple of other little things, for under a grand (vx. 3 for Sequoia software). Wavelab is a good program, as well, although I think it's a little clunky. On the Mac side, get Adaptec Jam or Emagic Waveburner Pro, and use Bias Peak or TCWorks Spark for editing and processing.

Other people use other things- I know people who have set up Logic Audio to work as a mastering application, and I frequently end up doing processing in Digital Performer. I'm looking to switch to Samplitude/Sequoia, if that's worth anything, mostly for workflow reasons. The most important thing is to try a few to see what works best for you.

Originally posted by GZsound:
    I'm interested in finding mastering software that won't break the bank. I have looked at Sonic Solutions SonicStudio HD but there seem to be no retailers selling it. I also looked at T racks and a couple of others. I'm using a PC with Sonic Foundry Sound Forge and Cool Edit now. What I need is a good two track mastering program...and advice or suggestion would be appreciated.

4. GZsound

GZsound Active Member

Thanks for the help. I actually have found a lot of information in the last week. Software that costs a thousand dollars or more is "breaking the bank" to me.

I have checked out Waves products, Isotrope Ozone, T-Racks, and several others. What I have found out is T-racks is getting pretty good reviews although it is a stand alone program and not a plug in. Waves is way too expensive for my use. I am going to try out DB-Audioware's Direct X plug-in programs which are only a few bucks each and see what I can do with them. I will more than likely get T-racks shortly.

I already get a pretty good product with the software I have installed on my computer (Sound Forge and Cool Edit) so I'm just trying to see if I can gain some small improvement with small investment.

Thanks.

5. Masternfool

Masternfool Active Member

Hi, i have been using SEKD software for 6 years,since its beginning...Try out a free demo at
    Magix.com
    samplitude master- is the mastering program it has very nice multi-band compressors,noise reduction and it sound great...Its a little steep on the learning curve but time well invested.
    Best Harry

6. LittleJames

LittleJames Member

Check out nuendo.

7. MarkST

MarkST Guest

Hi there,

You say you have checked out Ozone, but not what the result was. If you are thinking of buying T-Racks instead, I would suggest you download the demo for Ozone and give it a proper try. I have both programs and have completely stopped using T-Racks since I got Ozone!

Mark ;)

8. guapo

guapo Guest

If you already have DAW software, these can often double as mastering suites (Logic and Nuendo come to mind, but others can work as well).

Also, check out PSP's vintage warmer. It's a Dx/VST plug in. I've just tried this on a session, and first results are very impressive, though it does lack dithering options. Soundwise, for mastering compression/limiting and tone "shaping" it's a lot of bang for the buck.

9. GZsound

GZsound Active Member

Thanks for all the great advice. While I'm waiting for more dollars to flow in, I purchased a neat program called db-M from db Audioware (db-audioware.com). It was $39.00 and is a Direct X plug in. I'm using it with Cool Edit and it seems to work pretty neat. It's a three band limiter/compressor with assignable bands, solo per band and so far no distortion at all as far as I can tell.

I haven't tried Ozone or T-Racks yet but both have had a lot of recomendations.

Thanks again..

10. OTRjkl

OTRjkl Guest

I realize that you are on a budget (aren't we all?), but don't forget - You get what you pay for!
    I checked out T-Racks some time ago and was NOT impressed. Somebody else mentioned the PSP Vintage Warmer. I have the demo and I like it alot. I am having a little bit of trouble with it in shaping the bottom end, however, but it really does sound great. I have also checked out Ozone. It has some pretty cool features - like the RTA view - but I was less than ecstatic at the sound. Maybe I haven't given it enough time. You might also check out the plugs from SonicTimeworks.

11. ok computer

ok computer Guest

"*******" if u really dont want to break the bank (cauz all ********* software seems to be easy to get cracked)!

12. brad

brad Guest

13. brad

brad Guest

14. atlasproaudio

atlasproaudio Active Member

Originally posted by Jon Best:
    You could probably do with the similar Samplitude 2496 if you can handle the slightly less flexible crossfade editing and a couple of other little things, for under a grand (vx. 3 for Sequoia software).

I love Samplitude. I do basic editing with light mastering mostly for in house projects and a few that just come to me for just mastering. I haven't tried Sequoia, but it is probably really great. My only complaint is that it should support Native VST, but I assume that will be here in V. 6.1.

15. Ronny Morris

Ronny Morris Guest

I tried Ozone and wasn't impressed with it either. I've been using Samp 2496 and Wavelab, both are ok, but if you are on a budget and already have Cool Edit, my suggestion is to upgrade it to Cool Edit Pro. The addition of the hard limiter is worth the upgrade, it's excellent as is the noiseprinting. With the addition of some DXplug-ins TC, Waves Gold Bundle, SEK'D plugs you will have a cheap but viable basic mastering set-up. De-clicker and noise reduction algorithms leave a bit to be desired IMHO, best to go with Cedar for restoration.

16. I switched to a Mac a couple of years ago. Before that I was I was using Steinberg's Wavelab for mastering on my PC with Waves C4 and L1 plugins with great results. Wavelab will let you stack up to 6 plugins and audition, has some real cool two track editing features (Audio Montage) dumps the CD layout to a text file, burns with most CD burners, does MP3's, etc. . .

http://www.steinberg.net/products/ps/wavelab/wavelab3/index.phtml?id=030106&sid=01746864

17. MartinTurner

MartinTurner Guest

I just encountered the most amazing thing.

It's a free piece of MacOS software called Mastering Tools - a stand alone aimed at turning your pre-master into a master. Judging by the controls it's written by someone who really knows about mastering. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to work on my files (but hey, Logic Platinum doesn't _always_ work, and I was running several other things at once.)

Anyway, it's worth a look, especially as it's free
    . I'm posting the VersionTracker reference, so you can see what other reviewers have said about it, along with the author's specification.

Mastering Tools on VersionTracker

18. brad

brad Guest

19. OTRjkl

OTRjkl Guest

Brad -

In a previous post, you mentioned 3 things that a good mastering setup should have, one of which was the ability to cut masters directly from within the host program.

Question:

Is this just for simplicity's sake? Or is there some data issue involved? Since I am not in the same market as you guys, I have to use a much more modest setup (Sound Forge/Vegas/CD Architect).

Also, is there a way to check whether or not your system is delivering good bit accuracy?

Thanks for the help.

20. brad

brad Guest