Mastering Tools

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by BigTrey, Feb 18, 2006.

1. BigTrey

BigTrey Active Member

Hey RO'ers, could anyone tell me what types of tools are used for mastering? I mean as far as compression, Eq, Limiters, etc. What can I use to get my recordings to have that professional sound? I ask because I am interested in what the pros use when they have a project to master for their client so that I can understand the process better and do some experimenting with some crappy songs that I have lying around. I am using Protools and all of my gear is basically in the box. I have used the Bombfactory optical compressor, T-Racks Eq, Maxim, and a Dither. Am I using the wrong tools? What other tools could I use to get a more professional sound? Thanks for any response and advice.

2. pingu

pingu Guest

Hi.

PSP do great plugs. Try the mastercomp for a great mastering compresssor.

Learn the tools you have inside out and youl be on your way.

Stay away from multiband.

3. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Well-Known Member

I don't want to bring up the "don't master your own mixes" scenario, but I don't exactly get the results I expect when mastering my own mixes (which is exactly why I don't).

Could that be part of the problem...?

Other than that, I'd search out some M.E.'s web-sties (there are several here that have fairly comprehensive gear lists) if you're looking for specifics.

And it probably goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway - You're only ever be as good as your monitors allow you to be.

4. BigTrey

BigTrey Active Member

Thanks for the replies guys, I understand the whole thing aboyt letting a pro do the mastering for us.

5. CrackBuddha

CrackBuddha Guest

leave it to the pros

or not :roll:

the reason you are not having the same level of quality you want is probably the accumulation of a lot of things. make sure you dither right. dont cut the peaks off of everything. mix better (easier said than done right?). use less steps and/or process less severely per step. try mid-side processing instead of true stereo. Tools u may find helpful:
    multi-band compressor
    wideband compressor
    limiter
    devices that add warmth
    spectral analyzer
    restoration software for noise, fuzz, clicks, ...be careful!

6. bblackwood

bblackwood Active Member

If your room and monitors aren't up to speed, no processors will help you get the results you desire.

7. Michael Fossenkemper

Michael Fossenkemper Distinguished past mastering moderator Well-Known Member

Like Brad said, The absolute best investment you can make is your room, then your monitors. You can have $1mil in gear, but if these two things aren't right then you will not get what you are looking for.