Mastering???

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by storkrecords, Mar 29, 2004.

1. storkrecords

storkrecords Guest

So I just finished an acoustic project. Its my first paying gig. The client wanted a good demo at first, but now he is digging the mix and wants to have it mastered. My questions are:
    Should I inverst in a Finalizer, some good software? or should I send this to be mastered? Obviously sending it to be mastered is the best choice, but I'm nervous in doing so. First off I know the guy doesn't want to spend a ton of money. He just wants to fatten it up a bit and most of all boost the level. Second I've got the first "send to be mastered" jitters. Has anyone felt like that b4. I'm fairly confident that I didn't fudge it. I kept the compresion to a minimum. I really would like to hear a mix of mine mastered, but I was planning on it being my dollar. Anyway, Let me know what you think. Thanks Ed

2. fsm

fsm Guest

Hey Ed. I'd suggest mastering your project at a mastering studio. There's nothing like having another set of ears in a great listening environment to bring out the best in your mix. I've mastered alot of acoustic lp's and never even thought about running one of them through a Finalizer. Check out my website at http://www.finalstage.com and drop me a note if I can help you.

Randy LeRoy
    Finalstage Mastering
    (615) 256-2676

3. Michael Fossenkemper

Michael Fossenkemper Distinguished past mastering moderator Well-Known Member

You can feel free to PM any of the ME's here and see if they'll do a demo mastering of 1 song.If they have the time, they might do it. This would make you feel better about what you can expect as well as your client. Definately will turn out better than you doing it yourself for the first time.

4. joe lambert

joe lambert Distinguished Member

You say your client is happy with your work. Great. Keep it that way by sending his mixes to a pro mastering engineer so he /she is happy with the final CD. This way they remembers how you took care of him.

If you master it yourself without the proper experience he probably won't be happy with the end result. Then he goes away unhappy. Maybe he never comes back.

Do what you do best. Send it to someone who ends up making your mixes sound even better making you look better!

If you think I may be able to help you give a call or IM.

5. moby@ptt.yu

moby@ptt.yu Guest

I did that...Can you please check your PM :D

6. hellogoodbye

hellogoodbye Guest

wow!

you guys have some good sounding stuff. i'm interested in getting my new album mastered. maybe 3-4 songs. i'd like to have a song mastered to see if its worth the money first though, a trial run type of thing.

do any companies do this? how much does it usually run to get things mastered? is it hourly/per song?

cheers mates.

7. Michael Fossenkemper

You can just PM one of the ME's and see if they're into doing it. The rates vary depending on the guy and such. I can say though that it's definately worth the money.

8. hellogoodbye

hellogoodbye Guest

whoaaa. you guys mastered the get up kids album? which one? the new one? the get up kids fuckin rule, the music im doing is right down that alley.

i am going to give their albums another serious listen.

9. lucey

lucey Guest

i do one free Sample Master for new clients to get a sense of what they're paying for.

my mastering prices range from $75-$100/song depending on how much i can do with varying levels of extra steps/specialty work in addition to standard eq/comp/limiting.

the extra steps include:
    analog 1/2" dump
    HDCD processing

engineers in larger markets ... $200-400/hr.

if you want to hear a sample, please get in touch

10. Michael Fossenkemper

Yes I did the new Get up Kids album "guilt show", good stuff. Not sure who did the previous ones.

Let's keep the all pitches to PM's, otherwise it could get a little crazy.