1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

me again with yet another Zoom R16 issue

Discussion in 'Recording' started by thecurejosh, Mar 14, 2013.

1. thecurejosh

thecurejosh Active Member

Nov 11, 2012
    Fleet UK
    So i'm trying to record bass.

I am using an Ashdown ABM evo iii head and I'm running the D.I out in to the zoom and it is making a horrible humming noise. It sound like an earthing issue.

This happened last time I tried to record bass at a band practice but it didn't do it when I ran a jack lead out of the headphones in put in to a PA mixing desk (was using that for play back)

Any advice on how I can stop this from happening. Some people have mentioned a plug not having a grounding wire or words to that effect.

Thanks again guys!
  2. Boswell

Boswell Distinguished Moderator Resource Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Home Page:
    Can you describe the lead you are using to connect the Ashdown DI output to the Zoom R16 input? It will have a female XLR connector on one end, but what is on the other - male XLR, TRS jack plug, TS jack plug? Does the lead have two inner conductors plus a screen?
  3. pcrecord

pcrecord Don't you want the best recording like I do ? Resource Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    Home Page:
    Could be a cheap or faulty shield in your cable(s). If your DI has a ground lift, give it a go. If your bass goes to a effect board before the DI, try without it.

And for last, it could be the internal wiring of the bass it-self or the pickups quality...