Measuring Perceived Volume during Mastering

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by yessiree, Sep 8, 2009.

1. yessiree

yessiree Guest

So does anyone have suggestions for measuring perceived volume in a Mastered track?
    I set the max output to -.01 db but out of 6 tracks some sound louder the others.
    This is of course because of the perceived volume caused by limiting the track.

Is there anyway to measure perceived volume and then subsequently make the proper adjustments?

Currently I am using my ears...but I want to know if there is a more exact way to do it.

I am using ProTools LE 7.4 and Izotope Ozone 4
    Ozone 4 has a loudness maximizer (limiter).

Thanks in advance for any replies
  2. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2001
    setting the -0.01db is an FS and is a peak level

so what you have done is set the loudest peak to just outside or 0.01db of too much

that's kinda fine but I tend to come back a little from there to -0.03 or -0.05dbFS
    can explain later if you want
    it's a CD playback sort of thing

your reference to " perceived volume " is probably closer to RMS level or continuous level

use your ears

use a VU db meter
    this can be a real analog VU or it can be software based

all of this takes a little practice
    and to be good at it requires LOTS of practice

A quick fix ... so you can learn something ... might be to set the max level and then drive the track up into the limiter until you hear the average level you want
    then check that against the VU meter

welcome to the world of mastering
    this and more than a dozen other issues are what mastering is all about

people have spent a lifetime learning the craft of mastering
  3. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Distinguished Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Scotland, UK
    And made many blood sacrifices in the process (mostly to pay for the gear :D)
  4. RonanChrisMurphy

RonanChrisMurphy Active Member

Apr 21, 2009
    At the end of the day you really have to use your ears. The arrangement, frequency spectrum and the phase relationship of the sources within the track will all effect how you perceive loudness, and in many cases what you hear is not be analogous to what you see on meters.