1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Melodyne

Discussion in 'Recording' started by sprakey, Jan 20, 2005.

1. sprakey

sprakey Active Member

I was reading the topic about auto-tune with interest and then came accross the comment ref : melodyne. I looked up melodyne and I'm now leaning toward buying this instead.

As a new comer with relatively low budget, I want to be as sure a possible I'm getting the best value.

One of many unanswered questions though - I've seen how melodyne identifies a flat or a sharp note (according to their video), by displaying it between two pitches on the screen. Then by double clicking the note, it snaps onto into the correct key/pitch. But does melodyne retune the whole note for its duration like auto-tune does ? In other words, would a sustained note that wandered off key half way through be fully corrected or still left to wander but from a different starting point ?

Hope I've made my question clear enough :)

Any further advise on the pro's and con's of these two would be very welcome. Thanks in advance from a keen new-starter.

2. Thomaster

Thomaster Guest

you should check out their website, there's a demo software on there, and it has a tutorial that walks through a lot of stuff like pitching vocals but also trumpet if i recall it correctly

anyway. its amazing software, as much as i hate it

3. you can change the note at any point for any amount of time. The one thing i just read that Auto Tune has over Melodyne is something about pitch correction.

Just got melodyne so not sure yet, haven't gotten through the manual.

4. Digitonic

Digitonic Guest

imho Melodyne runs smoother than Antares Auto tune.

Not so robotic when tuning and you can add harmonies that are 3 ocataves below and above that sound great. Although it is always better to be able to sing the harmonies its helpful to thicken vocals.

5. John Stafford

John Stafford Well-Known Member

I think the flexibility of Melodyne can be compromised by the introduction of artifacts. On the whole though, it's a wonderful program. It's also a great creative tool if you really get serious about it. Sometimes it gets the analysis wrong, which can be a pain. Well worth having though.

Has anyone heard of a release date for Melodyne Uno?

John Stafford

6. lastounce

lastounce Guest

Melodyne is great I use it all the time to tune vocals and even other instruments that go astray (those sweet high cello notes). You can tune the note to a pitch and you can tune frmo any point in the pitch...correct vibrato and pitch transitions which reduce that metalllic sound. Its simply phenomenal! I love it...

7. maybe i am doing something wrong...

to my ears it sounds so bad, it makes the top end sound really grainy, and it pops and farts like my grandmothers donkey.

i agree that it can tune vocals really well, but i just cant get past the fact that it sounds like crap. i really hope they can sort it out, the time it would save me would be bonza.

8. THeBLueROom

THeBLueROom Guest

I don't even understand how you get that bad sound out of it. When I use it I can't even tell it's in use. Just don't OVERuse it.

9. its noisy even before i do any tunning, after it has detected the melody.

10. Digitonic

Digitonic Guest

Check your sample rates. Make sure they melodyne and your daw match....Steven 8)