1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

metal pop filters

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Caisson, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Caisson

Caisson Guest

What's the low down on the metal pop filters?

To my knowledge they don't absorb some of the sound like nylon filters. which allow the tones and frequencies to pass, but still blocking plosives and air (pops)

2. tringlesceo

tringlesceo Guest

true dat! not to mention theyre ruggid as heck and will last a lifetime!
  3. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Moderator

Feb 23, 2005
    They are also much easier to clean spit and snot off of....
  4. maintiger

maintiger Distinguished Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Whittier, California, USA
    Home Page:
    I prefer them over the nylon mesh ones. They don't seem to muffle the sound like the others do- IMO they are worth the extra money
  5. RAIN0707

RAIN0707 Guest

Or just turn the mic slightly off axis and all is good. I have both the metal and the nylon pop filters - for a while now I haven't had to use either (unless for the occasional bad mic technique singers that like to get right up on the thing haha)
  6. kidvybes

kidvybes Guest

...here's one from Peluso mics that's a particularly good value (about half the price of the original Stedman version)...I use them and they're excellent!...more "transparent" sounding than nylon screens...

...and, no, I don't work for Peluso...I just appreciate a good deal on a quality product...
  7. o2x

o2x Active Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Get an embroidery hoop and go to your local cheapo store and pick up some stockings - cut the stockings and fit to the embroidery hoop whenever a new shield is needed (or covered in spit).

You can even alter it's properties by using it doubled up or by using stockings of different dennier rating.

Cheap easy and very very effective.