1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Mic buying time - First studio purchases

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by v3gaS, Aug 18, 2004.

1. v3gaS

v3gaS Guest

Ok. Setting up a small studio in the next 6 months for local bands to record on.

Now I expect to have mostly Rock->Heavy rock/metal and all in between but I will have some ambient and Rap here and there.

Now I need to out fit the studio with mics for all seasons.

Where should I start. I would rather start with the tried and true then build on that if everything goes ok.

I was thinking:

( 1-2 ) AKG C414 - VOX mainly
    ( 8 ) SR57's (Drums and Cabs)
    ( 2 ) SM58's (Drums & Cabs)
    ( 2 ) Condensers for overs (not sure but possibly AKG or Shure)

Should I toss in any others while I putting this together?

I just need enough of the industry workhorses to get me off my feet at first before going further BUT NEED a good studio sound from them.

Any suggestions?

2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Your off to a great start ... two or three small diaphragm condensers would be of use as well ... AKG 480, Shure SM81 ...Neumann KSM 184, all great mics ... on a budget? Studio Projects C4 matched pair under $400 street!

3. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

I add a pair of AKG 451B, dump the SM58's at at this time for at least a pair of Sennheiser MD421MKII's and then go all out on a money channel vocal mic from Soundeleuxe, Lawson, Telefunken or any others that are as hi-end.

4. frob

frob Well-Known Member

your off to great start in deed but like gaff said dump the 58 if im not mistaken they are essetualy 57s with a bass rolloff and difrant wind screen. put the money into mics if you want i would go into some good room treatment, you would be suprised what you can do to your sound on everything with a cuple hundred buck in inteligent decorating; some one here gave me some exelent advice once. order of operations;

DAW - ROOM - PREs - MICs - TOYSs

i edited it a litle but thats a good thing to think about when making up grades.