1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Mic/cable issues..please help!!

Discussion in 'Accessories / Connections' started by radi0headfan, Jun 9, 2008.

1. radi0headfan

radi0headfan Active Member

hey guys, im new here and was having problems w/ a mic i just bought... its a nady sp1 mic that i got w/ the nady sp1 mic/stand package from musician's friend-- to test it out, i plugged it in to the Planet Waves XLR to 1/4 adapter and put that into the line in of my Crate amp... we have another mic from a karaoke machine that seems to work fine w/ the amp (it has a 1/4" plug instead of XLR).. first time i sent it back to musician's friend i figured it was either the mic or the cable (unfortunately dont have another cable to test out with), but i had to send the whole package back since they both came together .. i figured it wasnt the adapter, and before i thought about sending anything back again, i wanted to see if im doing something wrong since i seems unlikely to get 2 bad mics/cables in a row.. anyone have any ideas? ..id really appreciate it..thanks

2. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

1: You don't mention what the problem is.

2: It's a $20.00 mic/stand/cable combination. You can't expect much. You're probably spending more money on shipping than the actual product is worth.

If the stand is anywhere near reasonable then be thankful you got something of value out of it.

3. radi0headfan

oh sorry about that!..the problem is that there's absolutely no response from the mic ...i realize its 20 bucks, but from the reviews it seemed as if a bunch of other ppl at least had it working

4. hueseph

Are you in Europe? It may be a question of the wiring. In North America pin 3 is hot, pin one ground whereas I believe pin 1(?) is hot. I may have my own signals crossed here.

5. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

Pin 1 shield/ground/0volts
    Pin 2 hot
    Pin 3 cold

6. radi0headfan

the XLR cable can only go into the adapter one way, and i just made sure that they were lined up correctly.. im in North America btw..maybe i should just take it to a local guitar center or music shop and see if they'll test out the mic for me..

7. hueseph

Thanks for the clarification.

RHF: it wasn't a matter of the plug I was talking about but the internal wiring. Say if the Mic were destined for the UK it would be wired differently than if it were destined for US AFAIK. At any rate, I think it's definitely the mic. If you know the cable works, it's the mic for sure but I have to say, you're probably not much better off with that mic than one from Radio Slack.

8. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

hueseph is right here

you need to know what you have
    open the connectors to confirm
    this goes for adapters too
    1/4 inch plugs can be 2 connections (mono) or 3 connections (stereo)

if the cable has 2 conductors and a shield
    leave the shield free
    or tie the cold to the shield
    or leave the cold free

a transformer coupled unit will not work with the cold flapping free
    so some adapters will not work here

each , method can work and depends on the gear and the methods internal to each piece of gear

the point is
    KNOW your gear

9. Kapt.Krunch

Kapt.Krunch Well-Known Member

:?

Two things. Is that adapter an XLR to TRS, or an XLR to TS? If it is a TRS, could one of the pins not be connecting on a 1/4" jack?

You plugged into a "LINE IN" on a Crate amp? Or, did you plug into an instrument input? It makes a world of difference. Get your terminology and connections straight, and let us know.

Kapt.Krunch

10. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Uh...
    Is the problem not as simple as plugging the mic into a "Line input?"

It seems pretty simple to me -
    A dynamic mic with very low output fed into a line input...

11. hueseph

DOH! roflmao. That's funny. How did I miss that. Wait.....yeah that's about par for the course for me. lol.

12. radi0headfan

that makes sense, however, i have had a Shure 58 mic with a diff. cable/adapter work in my Crate amp, so i didnt think the Nady mic was all too different...also, the karaoke mic worked...its the second one that musician's friend sent me, so i just wanted to check before sending it back

13. radi0headfan

i have had a mic work w/ the exact same setup work with this amp...i was just wanting to test it out and mess around with it

14. radi0headfan

yea the cable might very well be faulty for the second time.. the musician's gear cables they send with the package have been known to be faulty... i figured after sendign it back once, everything would work second try

15. radi0headfan

ahh, i think what you said may be why its not working... here's the adapter i got:

(Dead Link Removed)

and its going into the "line in" of the amp...only reason i tested it out on this is b/c it worked w/ the Shure mic about a year ago.. sorry, i still need to get up to speed on a lot of the terminology-- kind of a newbie to all this

16. radi0headfan

from what ive been reading, i see that i should probably instead use an impedance matching transformer for what im trying to do?

17. hueseph

Probably a mic preamp would work better. Impedence is only part of the picture. For what I assume you're doing, any old preamp would do. Those ART "tube" pres are dirt cheap. Around $30 street. Of course you get what you pay for but if you're just using it for practice, it will do.

18. radi0headfan

cool.. thanks..ill take a look into it

19. Kapt.Krunch

Well, that adapter LOOKS like an XLR-TRS adapter, but it claims:

"Trustworthy balanced-to-unbalanced signal conversion."

So, apparently they must have it wired internally to do the job properly.

Is that Crate a guitar amp? Are you plugging into the jack you usually plug a guitar into? Or, are you plugging into something labelled "Line In"? You really haven't answered those questions yet, and they are important.

Tell us what model Crate it is, and where you plug in to?

Kapt.Krunch
    (D.D.S. pulling teeth). :shock:

20. Kapt.Krunch

BTW, after all this...you said you are "testing it" in the Crate. You have nothing else to plug it into, or do you plan to actually try to use a mic in a guitar amp? If that's the case, you might as well just use the old mic that worked, because you gain nothing with this one. You could plug a $5000 mic through a $10,000 preamp and into a guitar amp, and it'll STILL sound terrible on vocals.

I have a suspicion this is what you are going for, otherwise you'd have something else to plug into. And, even if it was something like a Crate Taxi, that has an XLR input, I believe, so I don't think you have one of those.

Am I guessing correctly? If so, don't try too hard to get any useable vocals out of a guitar amp....ain't gonna happen because of the way a guitar amp's frequency range is designed, and because of the lack of a high-frequency driver.

Also, you COULD use an XLR-1/4" transformer unit, which they make (even Radio Shack used to carry them), but only if you plugged into the Instrument In.

Almost seems like a lot of trouble IF that's what you plan, and if you have something else to plug into, then logic would state to try that first before determining any part is bad.

Answer all these questions for the most useful advice and/or answers. :wink:

Kapt.Krunch