1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Mic Diaphram Thickness

Discussion in 'Recording' started by tmix, Nov 19, 2002.

1. tmix

tmix Guest

I was wondering as (I am looking at different microphones) what effect the diaphram thickness has on mic sound or choice (say 3 micron as opposed to 6 micron) Would the thinner the diaphram the more responsive to transients?
    Would thicker be more smooth and therefore a better choice for vocals as opposed to something else?
    Any help would be appreciated. I prefer to make informed choices whenever I can.
  2. jajjguy

jajjguy Guest

Posters to these forums must dread answers like this, but more than in most other cases, the answer has to be "it depends."

Two examples:
    Studio Projects has two lines of mics, the B and the C. The C mics have 6 micron capsules, and the B mics are 3 microns. People seem to like the C mics better, regardless of application.

Stephen Paul, the microphone designer who has his own forum on this site, insists that thicker diaphragms are a compromise, and that his 1 micron (and thinner) capsules are the way to go. And many people seem to agree with him, even though the 6 micron mics he criticises are some of the most admired and sought-after mics ever made.

So I don't think thickness is something you can consider when shopping for mics.
  3. tmix

tmix Guest

Well ,
    It figures....
    I was hoping that I could get a better handle on mic construction vs application so I would not have to necessarily audition every mic there was out there. I guess I'll just have to put my time and ears to work for now!