1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Mic > Firepod+Amp

Discussion in 'Recording' started by welo, Dec 22, 2007.

1. welo

welo Guest

Would seem fairly simple. For recording live scratch tracks I have two room mics flown and connecting to channels 1+2 of my FP10 (Christmas prez from Sis - Yay!). Two guitars also miced in. Handheld condenser (vocals) runs to a Carvin powered mixer devoid of channel inserts. How do I get this mic also to the Firepod to record a vocal overlay?

Considered just throwing it together with an XLR Y and that suggestion caused a GC guy to freak. But in the meantime he had no DI-box etc. as an alternate plan. Ideas? Just jack into the Firepod first then out?

2. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Handheld condensers???

Not to say they don't exist, but they're not that common and (generally) are more expensive and less useful than a handheld dynamic. What mics are they?

If they are dynamics, the y cable will be just fine for scratch vocals. For condensers, not so.

Otherwise, can you feed the mics into the FP10 and then take the outputs from it into your console? (i don't know the routing potential or I/O available on the FP10.)

Just some thoughts.

3. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

If it's a handheld along the lines of an ATM31A, it can also be powered by a 'AA' battery - if that's the case then the 'y' cable will work.

4. Cucco

True. For that matter, as long as th Y split occurs between the powering and the console/interface inputs, he should be fine. A cheap phantom power box and a Y cable could be the cheap and dirty answer.

5. bent

Thanks, now I've got Slade's song "Cheap and Nasty Love" bouncing around in my head!

6. welo

welo Guest

(Dead Link Removed)

7. bent

Yes, but make sure that each cable and 'Y' is properly soldered. You don't want that phantom going anywhere in the chain but pin 2.

8. Cucco

There shouldn't be phantom touching the Y.

It should go -

Mic -> Phantom Supply -> Y Cable -> Mixer/Interface.

Otherwise - yes.

9. bent

Hang on...

What model is the Carvin?

If it has 1/4" line inputs you could plug the vox mic into channel one (or two) of the FP10 and run it's preamp output on the back to an input on the mixer - foregoing the need for a split.

10. welo

welo Guest

(Dead Link Removed)

I bought a splitter though. Might as well try it both ways.

11. bent

What does the PSM get it's feed from?

12. welo

welo Guest

PSM is phantom power line-through. Whatever you plug into with activated phantom feeds the mic.

13. bent

Who's wearing the PSM bodypack and what is being sent to their ears?