1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

mic, mike, mic'ed, miked, micing, mic'ing, miking

Discussion in 'Recording' started by bounce, Apr 26, 2005.

1. bounce

bounce Guest

okay. ever wonder which way was correct for turning this abbreviated word into a participle or past tense verb? well it has driven (it done drove) me crazy for too long so here's the entry on dictionary.com in all its glory:

mike Audio pronunciation of "mic" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mk) Informal
    n. also mic (mk)

A microphone.

tr.v. miked, mikĀ·ing, mikes

To supply with or transmit through a microphone.

i guess i will not have mic'ed anything else here in my studio and no more squeaks from all the micing ; ) i wonder how all the michaels feel about royalties from the use of their namesake? what about "this mic'll do...?"pass the mic over to mike and let's hear what he has to say...

okay, back to you, mike-

mckay (not mic-kay)
  2. Markd102

Markd102 Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2001
    Oh man! I've seen this debate on so many forums that I'm sick of it....

My thoughts.......

3. bounce

bounce Guest

whoa, there! didn't mean to cause any drama! geez, i just got tired of looking at my "c" key and my "k" key wondering which to punch today. thought i'd peruse the dictionary and save a keystroke. does anyone care? hmmm, dunno, but i like little bits of info and technique incoming from my browser so i thought someone might want these 1's and 0's. i must have missed the debate about this one on another forum (maybe someone else has as well). ignore it if you want. to me it's kind of funny that this would actually get under someone's fingernails. holiday anyone?

4. perfectwave

perfectwave Guest

and i thought australia was the land of happy people
  5. bounce

bounce Guest

word ; )
  6. Markd102

Markd102 Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2001
    Sorry, it wasn't sposed to come across quite like that.

But I really don't care though.
  7. bowmandj

bowmandj Guest

In hindsight, I suppose, the clue was in the title.

Still I found it amusing to read :)

8. Sanity Inn

Sanity Inn Guest

Being a Mike myself, where do we sign up for royalties ?!? lol prob is Mike pretty popular name, guess that thins out the shares ahahah

Either way, you answered a question that i was cusrious on too

9. tedcrop

tedcrop Guest

Yeah I don't care either
  10. bounce

bounce Guest