1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

mic pickup patterns

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by tomislav, Nov 25, 2004.

1. tomislav

tomislav Active Member

what are these exactly, like SuperCardioid, Omni and figure-8. Could I get an explination maybe?

Also, what do you guys think of the Samson Condencer mics that are out. What are some good condensers for a home studio?

2. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

These are the kind of basic topics that you can easily find with a little effort on your own. Here is one link that explains microphone polar patterns.
    http://www.audio-technica.com/using/mphones/guide/pattern.html

3. John Stafford

John Stafford Well-Known Member

While you're on the Audio Technica website, take a look at their mics. They are great value for money and perform to a very high standard.
    John Stafford

4. JoeH

JoeH Well-Known Member

Search google for Ron Streicher, he literally "wrote the book" on all things related to mic patterns, pickup, usage, etc. Great place to start learning about it.

5. NorthwindNS

NorthwindNS Guest

For a good TUBE CONDENSER mic for less money refer to NADY

NADY TCM 1050 Tube Condenser Studio Mic

http://www.nady.com/products/product_pgs/tcmmics_pg1.html

6. cant really comment on the nady mics but id go with an AT or a studio projects mic.....you cant go wrong with a Studio Projects B1

7. JoeH

JoeH Well-Known Member

Studio Projects make some great mics, esp for the price. I have a pair of C4's, and they're great little mics. (For $300 you get a pair of 'em, each with an interchangeable cardioid and omni capsule, plus shock mount & carrying case. Sweet.) They really sound nice on a variety of things.

AT is a great line of mics as well, I just picked up a pair of 4049 omnis, in addition to a bunch of other 4000 series mics I already have.