1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Mic placement

Discussion in 'Recording' started by RedDawnRecords, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Why does a mic placed upside down or right side up but at the same height and angle produce a diff sound
  2. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

Feb 10, 2001
    The acoustics of the sound reflections off the body of the mic and off the head grill basket... sound doesn't just go to the capsule, it bounces off the metal of the grill screen as well as the body housing of the mic as well as the capsule mounting hardware.

These reflections will influence the sound(s) the capsule "hears".
  3. mistals

mistals Guest

Sometimes a singer/musician needs room for music stand, notes/lyrics, or to swing their arms. Placing the mic upside down can help create an open space below. If the diaphram is in the same location, there isn't any difference in sound it captures when right side up, or upside down. Another reason the mic might be upside down is to capture some sound coming from nasal cavities, but the angle could be used with mic in either set-up. Sometimes the weight of the mic causes a need to be upside down, just to sit better, like micing an amp or whatever, by letting gravity work with you, not against you.
  4. gotcha..thank you very much. one more thing. i have a steadman metal mesh pop filter. will that creat and sort of sounds i dont want when compared to a cloth filter?
  5. Regardless of what it sounds like - most of the time it looks cooler, especially when tracking singers. :cool:
  6. tony desilva

tony desilva Guest

Tube mics are usually mounted upside-down to prevent heat from the tube affecting the diaphragm of the capsule. The sound of a capsule changes with changes in temperature.
  7. BlackSoul

BlackSoul Guest

On one of his instructional videos, Bruce Swedien shows how to tilt a ribbon mike to get more high end; the ribbon's tension is increased by the force of gravity.
  8. John Stafford

John Stafford Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2004
    When the mic is angled downwards, you can use your body as a sort of baffle. When the mic is placed with the capsule higher up, turning it upside down stops the body of the mic getting in the way. It's a pity that all of my meagre collection sound better upright, because I think it looks cool the other way!

John Stafford
  9. JoeH

JoeH Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA/ Greenville, DE
    Home Page:
    Another reason you'd invert your LD microphone would be for singers or voice-over talent who need room below the thing for a music stand or table for their notes.

Working with/without the table and/or music stand will also change your results fairly noticeably, too.

Horn players often need some room to work, as well.

Sometimes they like to dance, too.....floor stands get in the way, etc. :roll:
  10. have a look at the book "mixing with your mind"
  11. maintiger

maintiger Distinguished Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Whittier, California, USA
    Home Page:
    I love the stedman's, best 40+ bucs Iever spent. They just don't dull your hi end like the cloth ones do :D