1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Mic pre question...quality,sound

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Masternfool, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Masternfool

Masternfool Active Member

Hey All, I'm new to this forum,I have currently the peavey vmp-2 mic pre with a D8b mixer. I will say off the bat the peavey is nice for the price but not alot different except for warmer flavor.I would like to take my sound up a par. I am looking for suggestions on mic pres, I will say I am impressed with the 2-610 from UA,The Avalon 737, what will take my sound to the next level,or are they all considered top pro after $1000. per channel? I dont have a facility to hear each one in the proper environment.Mics used will be the normal tlm103,414II,421,sm83,etc. Thanks All In Advance. Harry

2. Mad John

Mad John Active Member

Hello and welcome!

I just resently got the 2-610, so I will comment on just this piece for now.

Friend, you would be doing your self a rewarding pleasure if you decide to pick up this most incredible mic pre.

I am sure I do not need to tell you the features that it has, but man those EQs really do the buisness on your material, especialy vocals!

Also I think that the XLR line ins are the Bees Knees of all the features!!!

You can colorize any program material through here, tape machine, sub mixers you name it!

I think you would be hard pressed to find a better run for your $ :D

Not to mention it is the sexiest honey out there!

Id strongly recomend her : "The Universal Queen."

Cheers!

Mad John
    Zythum Studios

"The present day Composer refuses to die!"
    Edgar Varese - 1921

3. Jon Atack

Jon Atack Member

Sorry to disagree, but I'm not at all impressed with the UA mic pre.

If I were to buy more pres today, I would likely get either a Neve 1073, a Martech MSS10, a GML 8304 or a good vintage API, depending on the color I was after. The GT Vipre has a good street buzz too, so I would probably try that unit as well before deciding. Just my $0.02.

Jon

4. ckevperry

ckevperry Active Member

Is this a workhorse preamp? You have to be careful when you have a single " go to" preamp because it will impart its character on everything. There are an elite few preamps that sound great everything and fabulous on some things.

Two that come to mind are API's and Great Rivers.

I agree that the UA ain't hittin on much either. The best bargain in mic preamps is the Great River mp-2mh. Got my two channels for about $1300 new. Transparent and 3-d sounding. Sounds good on everything. Great on most things.

5. bassmac

bassmac Guest

I love my 2-610 :D

6. Mad John

Mad John Active Member

Now come on guys....if you dont like the 2-610, at least give us some reasons.

I would love to know what you have to say about the 2-610 that is negative.

Mad John
    Zythum Studios

The present day Composer refuses to die!"
    Edgar Varese - 1921

7. Dan-O

Dan-O Guest

Ckevperry

Were did you get your MP-2MH?

Dan-O

8. anonymous

anonymous Guests

FWIW, there is a review in this month's MIX mag by Michael Cooper on the UA 2-610 which is a total rave. Among other things he says:

"... hands down, the most dimensional mic preamp I've ever heard for recording vocals. The depth, clarity, lushness, and tight bottom end it imparts on vocal tracks will astound you."

However, one should note that I think (I could be wrong here) that this the same Michael Cooper about whom Fletcher once did a 2000 word rant, essentially labelling him one of the world's least informed and most error-prone reviewers? (The article in question was a compressor round-up). He may have questioned his genetic lineage as well.

Also note that Fletcher has already stated here that he was never impressed with the origianl UA preamp that the 2-610 is modelled after.

Clearly there is some controversy about the value of this preamp - some love it and some hate it. (I haven't had the opportunity to use it). The switchable impedence is a nice feature, shared by only a few other preamps (all implemented somewhat differently - VIPRE, Avalon 2022, one of the Meeks). None of my preamps have that feature, and sometimes I really wish I had one that did - especially for my Royer 121, which I have to crank pretty high on softer sources on any of my current pres. At less than $1000 per channel street price, the UA is not as expensive as the VIPRE or the Avalon 2022, but it is still a little more expensive per channel than the API 3124 (I've seen as low as about $650 per) or the Vintech 1272 (about $600 per). Apparently the Great River is in that same range. If I was going to start out with one mic pre purchase, I might lean towards the "safer" choice of the API 3124 - because you get four channels of high quality preamps (kick, snare, bass, vox?) that are gonna sound pretty damn good on just about everything AND 4 DI's (and some nice metering, although no EQ)- all in one rack space! Then as you start to add to your collection you can move in the direction of "more transparent" (Grace, Earthworks, DACS) or more colorful (Neve, Vipre, UA) as dictated by your needs.

9. ckevperry

ckevperry Active Member

I guess my problem with the UA is that despite the source, there is always many other preamps that can do the job better to my ears.

Dan-O:

Go to http://www.greatriverelectronics.com and look thru their dealer list. I can't remember who it was exactly so you'll have to call around for the best price.

10. Hack

Hack Active Member

How can you really trust a mag. review? Does ANYONE here pay for subscriptions? $1300 to $3000 is too major a purchase, for me, to trust some guy. When I finally got enough money to get a good preamp, I went to as many big studios web sites as I could find to the what they have. So I got a 1073. I have since added a 737. I am very pleased with these. Up next will be Great River or API.

11. Jon Atack

Jon Atack Member

For the real deal 1073 or 1089 or 1064, I recommend Brent Averill. He and Avedis are good folks to deal with...they saved my butt a couple of times with telephone help and fedexed spare parts.

If I had the $$, I'd buy a dozen 1073s. They are the busiest boxes in my studio...pretty much always in use...that is, the few days they aren't out earning their keep with rental jobs at other studios. Definitely the best rental item by far that we have.

http://www.brentaverill.com.

Jon

12. Dan-O

Dan-O Guest

Has anybody had any experiance with the API units by Brent Averill? http://www.brentaverill.com./#apipres

Dan-O

13. Mad John

Mad John Active Member

So thats it!?

No one is saying why the 2-1610 is truly undisirable, just that there are "better" pres for the money?

Let me just say , this is a special box and mark my words, in this recession it may take up to a year or more, but I feel quite strongly that this little honey will make an impressive impact in due time! (It is already a History maker!)

I guees this piece is not worthy of its matching sisters, the LA 2A , 1176. :eek:

Mad John
    Zythum Studios

Edgar Varese - 1921

14. bassmac

bassmac Guest

Does anyone really think a company like UA would produce a piece of junk?

Does everyone really think Fletcher's opinion is the only one that matters?

Does anyone ever just go out and buy gear to try out for them self's anymore - without engaging in an extensive internet survey first?

Has anybody else realized that at this level they're all pretty damn good?

Still love my 2-610 :D

15. ckevperry

ckevperry Active Member

Originally posted by bassmac:
    Has anybody else realized that at this level they're all pretty damn good?

Absolutely. Way better than a Mackie, presonus, ART, etc....

But at this level, there are several other pre's on any given source that I prefer over the UA. And they just happen to be cheaper. Those are the ones I want to use. He asked our opinion and thats just me.....

of course YMMV...

16. osmuir

osmuir Member

well, having just been to AES...

i have a pendulum MDP-1. very flexible. sounds clear, or you can grunge it up. dosen't handle ribbons well, but if you call greg, he has a fix for it.

the great river mp2-nv is amazing.
    the flamingo [crane song] is pretty cool. i'm about to get a spider.
    i haven't heard the api, but sounds like a good bet.
    the earthworks are transparent as hell, and there is a 4 channel demo unit on sale at mercenary right now for a great price.

also, maybe the drawmer 1969? decent pres, KILLER compressor. that low cut in sidechain switch kicks ass on bus compression [either mix or drums, esp].

but the great river stuff is killer, and dan kennedy is a rad guy who knows his $*^t.

remember: a great pre isn't worth $*^t with out good converters. lucids were great for the price, benchmarks are ^#$%ing unreal.

and if you can save up enough...the spider is the ^#$%ing bomb, sound and value wise.

as for flexibility--pendulum all the way. but i think a great river or an api 3124 is a great idea too. try em out. mercenary has a great return policy, and fletcher has cool hair.

--owen

17. Tim Lynch

Tim Lynch Guest

Dan-O
    I own Brent Averill 1073 and Api 312's. They rock. Their support is awesome. I use these pre's with Tube_Tech's and Avalon. Recently I decided to get 2 more 1272's for 1600 instead of a deal with Focusrite for 4 red pre's for the same price.
    Tim

18. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

Does anyone really think a company like UA would produce a piece of junk?
    Does everyone really think Fletcher's opinion is the only one that matters?

The only negatives I've heard thus far are on the pre, and that's next to the mics (and monitors) the most subjective part of the signal chain, so I'm not surprised there's dissension. There were reports from owners of flimsy construction on the housing. Couldn't tell you on sound, as I've never tried one. Neither had Fletcher, he'd just had at some of the original preamps, which don't necessarily have any more in comon with the new than a Model T does with a Ford Focus. The originals could have been in horrible repair or maybe completely wrong for the specific application. He said himself it doesn't necessarily indicate a thing about the new product. He still speaks well of their compressors, despite the fact that their sales and marketing team are lower than pond scum.

As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on the 2-610, and there are a hell of a lot of good competing preamps priced similarly, so I'm going to research and try as many as possible when I sink that kind of cash. Glad you like yours, Bassmc, as do others, and that'd keep it in consideration for me.

Bear

19. Dan-O

Dan-O Guest

Tim 01

I'm awaiting a Vintech 1272 at the moment with baited breath.(thanks Nathan).
    Now having sold my car (65' Impala ss) :( I'm looking for more.
    This is my jump into quality pre-amp land.
    Many under consideration including the 2-610.
    But I think I'm really looking for something more aggressive for kick & snare. For the rock stuff anyway.

I noticed that the Brett Averill API two channel has an option to have Reichenbach transformers put in. My understanding is that they are more aggressive sounding transformers than the Jensen's(I read this some where).
    Or maybe the Jensen's are more versatile? Any thoughts? They seem to be very well priced.

I will be calling Brett Averill on this BTW. Just thought it would make interesting commentary. :D

Dan-O

20. Mad John

Mad John Active Member

Will somebody please try a shoot out with the 2-610? (especialy on vocals)

The more studios/engineers/musicians that really try the pre and work with the special features , may find that it is a welcome addition and perhaps in a class by its self.

Hell, when my credit card isin't throbbing so violently as it is now, I plan on getting a second one!

Some of you will catch on , trust me. ;)

Anyway , Frank Sinatra was noted for favoring this pre and although not exactly the same , it preaches the same vibe , only now with more results!

Cheers!

Mad John
    Zythum Studios

Edgar Varese - 1921