1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Mic Pre to Monitoring system??

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by jhagertybhs, Nov 15, 2003.

1. jhagertybhs

jhagertybhs Guest

Is there a way to take a line out of a preamp to my computer for recording and also from the pre to a headphone mixing board at the same time? Does anyone know of very good sounding pre's that may have a line out for this purpose? The reason I'm asking is I'm trying to set up 2 seperate headphone mixes for vocalists. Thanks!

2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Many mic pres have dual outputs.. the sebatrons do. they have a XLR and a 1/4" out just for this purpose..

Another way to do this is to split the output of the mic pre, using a Y cable, or run the output of your pre through a patch bay into the top row of jacks, "half normaled" (where inserting a cable into the bottom row breaks the connection) to the inputs of your recorder on the bottom row of jacks. You can then take a "mult for the pre amp send in the patchbay (top row) and route that to your mixer for headphone monitoring..

3. jhagertybhs

jhagertybhs Guest

Kurt

Will either method diminish the signal being sent to the recorder?

4. jhagertybhs

jhagertybhs Guest

Also, what about the VMP-2000e or 4000 pre's. I've been reading up on Grace 201 (which I'm not sure Kurt has heard yet). I've read the reviews and I know "it all depends on all the other stuff in the rack" but all things aside, what do you think of the Sebatrons? Anyone's opinions matter :td: or :tu:

5. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

It shouldn't deminish or degrade the signal either way..

(Dead Link Removed)

I haven't heard the Grace 201 but it is a very well made and respected mic pre that has an internal power supply (one of my criterias for pre amp choice). I am sure it would serve you well.