1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Mic Pre

Discussion in 'Recording' started by sillyman, May 19, 2001.

1. sillyman

sillyman Guest

Hey everyone,

I got the Behringer Eurorack MX 602A for my pre amp. I guess this post is much like the one just before it. Wondering about gains on each board. I'm only using SM57's and have no other additions. Just SM57 to Behr. to VS 880.
    Also, there are knobs for both level and gain. Wondering the difference on those. To me, I guess I understand gain, but I don't know why there is this level adjustment also.
    Hope to hear back soon.
  2. Markd102

Markd102 Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2001
    Hey Silly
    The post before this one is very relevant to your question so also have a look at that.
    Basically you should try to keep the gain on the Roland as low as possible. Up the gain on the Behringer until it clips and then back it off a bit. Unfortunately it doesn't give you a PLF level so you have to use this method. Up the volume level on the "B" until you get an adequate level on the recorder. It should be pretty much that simple. If your levels are a bit up and down during the performance you might want to use a bit of compression. Not too much though (also see previous thread).
    Good luck, I'm looking forward to hearing some results.
  3. sillyman

sillyman Guest

So, I guess I'm assuming that the level knob is actually basically acting as a fader would and I would set it at zero while setting the gain correctly? Then if needed add or take away a bit?

4. Markd102

Markd102 Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2001
    Got it in one :D
    Obviously it's hard to put a fader on something so small.
    BTW Make sure you're running a balanced TRS lead between the mixer and the Roland. It will cut down on noise.
  5. Curve Dominant

Curve Dominant Active Member

Apr 13, 2001

Just think of the "gain" knob on any unit (or channel strip) as a volume knob for the input jack of that unit (or channel strip). The level knob (or fader) controls the output of the unit.