1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Mic Preamp for Jeff Buckley-like vocals

Discussion in 'Preamps & Processing' started by michaeltk, Oct 23, 2007.

1. michaeltk

michaeltk Guest

My voice sounds very much like Jeff Buckley. What preamps would you recommend for that sound?

I am currently using API.

2. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Distinguished Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Silicon Valley
    What's wrong with the API? And what makes you think that the sound of Jeff Buckley is all due to just the mic preamp?
  3. michaeltk

michaeltk Guest

The API sounds a bit too harsh to me. Or perhaps it's my Studio Projects C1 microphone that's causing that sound. So maybe you could recommend a better mic for my vocals, or perhaps a good mic-preamp combination.
  4. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Distinguished Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Silicon Valley

I'm not in tune with who Jeff Buckley is and what his voice is like so I may not be the best person to ask, but the C1 mic is way more likely to be your problem than the API mic pre. What I may like for a mic you might not. You really have to find a way to get a hold some real good mics, not those bedroom toys, and come to your own conclusions.
  5. DrGonz

DrGonz Active Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ

look for this post in the blog>>>
    "If you wanna hear just how great a U87 can sound listen to Jeff Buckley's vocals on the album Grace."

This is just one source of information I heard out here.... Hope it helps and yeah jeff buckley had some great vocals!!! Good luck

(edit) As for preamps used.... research Andy Wallace...
    http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.php?Number=60145 (/edit)
  6. mikecornett

mikecornett Guest

Yah, C1 is most definitely it...i've heard it sound decent on certain vocals, but mostly for more speak-singing types.

For a similar Jeff Buckley voice, check out a group I do graphic design work for, Soulajar.

"Sweet Air" is a track that rings a Buckley nature. They even cover a great version of "Everybody Here Wants You"
  7. nickeveslage

nickeveslage Guest

Good band. I like that guy's voice. Solid.

Anyway, yeah man the best thing to do is try to get your hands on a few mics and see what sounds best. Maybe find some to rent and see what sounds best.