1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Mic Pre's

Discussion in 'Preamps & Processing' started by benjaminroesler, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Does anyone know a good cheap mic pre that is available? I was reading recording magazine...or maybe it was home recording...I don't remember honestly...anway there was a review of a $179 mic pre that was called the VTB1 I think. It sounded nice in the review but who knows with written reviews right? I was just wondering if anyone had used this new pre, or if there were any suggestion for a good mic pre around the $200 to $300 mark. Thanks a lot for any help you can give me in this area.
  2. The VTB-1 is down to $129 at most online retailers. Here are my brief thoughts on it and a few other mic pres:

1. RNP: Excellent uncolored preamp. Better than VTB-1, Focusrite (in the Pro Control), or Mackie.

2. Sebatron: Excellent, versatile preamp. Detailed, clean if using pads to control input, distorts nicely if hot.

3. Studio Projects VTB-1: OK, better than Mackie, makes me about as happy as the Focusrites in the Pro Control. Good value at $129 if you have to buy an outboard pre and don't want to save a little more for the RNP (seems as usable to me as anything else under the RNP and you can't beat the price).

4. Focusrite (in the Pro Control): I am not particularly impressed with the Focusrite stuff at this level (Platinum). The VTB-1 is just as acceptable and cheaper, and the RNP kills them. The Pro Control is a great interface for Pro Tools, but I feel the quality of the preamps lowers the value overall. I wish they had gone with no-name preamps and knocked the price down.

5. Mackie: Usable, of course, in the sense that they function, but really at the bottom of the group. Totally usable for home recording, but not going to get you super-pro results. It should be acknowledged that Mackie has been an innovative and budget-friendly presence in the marketplace. I won't say they make the best budget mixers in the market, but they had a lot to do with making that market in the first place. Anyone want to say that Mackie HASN'T had an effect on the audio market?

6. Universal Audio 2-610: Wonderful, big, makes you happy you have ears on the side of your head. Is it worth the extra cash vs. the Sebatron? I am not sure because I haven't had enough time with the Seb to figure that out. Either way you are going to be happy.

And there you have it, David
  3. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Doc...you WERE serious!
  4. ozraves

ozraves Active Member

Feb 25, 2002
    oklahoma city
    Home Page:
    I'd suggest looking for a used Presonus MP20 with the Jensen transformers. You can still find these around for under $300 used. Hint: They no longer make them with the Jensens. So be careful.