1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Mic question re; C4's...

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Bhennies, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Bhennies

Bhennies Guest

Hello all...

I've been searching the forums for a couple weeks now, and have read many, many posts that have been extremely helpful. On everyone's advice, I purchased two Studio Projects c3's for drum OH's. When I received the mics, I was very impressed with their quality on vocals, but not so much on overheads...they were still nice, but I think I want a small diaphragm condenser. So anyway, i returned them.

Kurt, I know that you have reviewed and love the studio projects c4's. Unfortunately, I cannot access the sound samples on nowhere radio as I have a Mac.

The sound: I have a dark and dry small vintage kit, and dark, thick hihats and ride. I have found it difficult to capture the high end of my hi hats (DYNO beats- they are heavy!!!). I am producing instrumental down-tempo hip-hop, dub-reggae- jazz. Anyway, I have narrowed down my mic choice to these mics. The mics will be going through a Universal Audio 2108.

I have ruled out the Oktava MC012's, and i didn't like the Rode NT5's.

These mics garnered my interest.

Shure SM81

Studio Projects c4 (currently the favorite $$$)

Audio Technica 4041 or 4051.

Ideally, I would like the Josephson c42's, but I can't afford them.

The room is decent but not fantastic, and I will be close-micing the snare and kick. Kurt, as I cannot listen to them, would you deem the Studio Projects c4 an adequate mic for this job?

Please forgive my flurry of posts in the past two weeks, but I cannot demo these mics and thus have to trust others experiences before I buy them. The more data, the better decision.

Thanks everyone!

2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

First, I am sorry you can't hear the clips... I did not know that NWR was Mac incompatible. That doesn't seem correct ????

Yes I would recomend the C4's. Especially considering the price. I like the C4's as much on overheads as the other mics I often use... akg 451's and 460's .. and the C4's do have a bit of a high end "lift" so they will help with the top end through the UA pre.. (it's a pretty dark pre).

Kurt Foster

3. Bhennies

Bhennies Guest

Thanks Kurt, that's the answer I was hoping for (they are SOOOO cheap). Anyway, Nowhere radio offers me Windows media player, which I have, and realplayer options. For some reason the Windows media player doesn't work, and I refuse to install realplayer, because it can wreak havoc on your settings on a Mac. I'm also using Safari, so I will try it with Netscape or Internet Explorer.

4. Bhennies

Bhennies Guest

C4's on the way!! I will try and post an mp3 as soon as I move and get set-up at my new studio.

5. TheRealWaldo

TheRealWaldo Guest

NWR works fine with Macs and any player capable of playing SC Streams or WMS streams. I'd read the FAQ (firewall might be blocking ports required, etc.) in the forums.

W.

6. Bhennies

Bhennies Guest

Got it working!

7. TheRealWaldo

TheRealWaldo Guest

Good to hear!

W.