1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

mic question

Discussion in 'Recording' started by sammyg, Dec 16, 2004.

1. sammyg

sammyg Active Member

Hi all,

I know this is a long shot but you never know!
    I am a big fan of the drum sound on the metallica "black" album.
    I have the making of it on video, I like to check out mic placement mic choice, etc. The only mic I cant work out is the hi-hat mic.
    I thought there may be someone who knows, or recognises it by description. The only way I can describe it is: long microphone, kinda like an MD441 or RE20, but it has a long, thick wind sock on it, the sock is in the shape of a McDonalds coke cup, smaller end to the front, because most of the mic is covered I cant see it. Well hopefuly the above description can spark a memory with someone!!
    Like I said I know its a long shot, but its killing me!!

cheers,

Sammyg

2. LittleDogAudio

LittleDogAudio Active Member

I didn't see the DVD but it sounds a little like a Shure SM-7. It has a large pop screen that looks like you description.

Chris

3. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Is there a way you can capture a screen shot of the mic and post it? That would help ....

4. David French

David French Well-Known Member

Could it be a Shure SM7?

5. sammyg

sammyg Active Member

good idea, but unfortunately I dont have the required equipment to do so, may be able to puase the video and take a photo with my digital camera and post it, I'll sus it out.

hmmm, could be a 57.

Sammyg

6. sammyg

sammyg Active Member

ooops, sm7 not 57!

7. David French

David French Well-Known Member

Just noticed that I had repeeated Little Dog. :oops:

If you have a DVD player in your computer, you can wait till the scene appears, hit 'print screen' on the keyboard, go to paint, and paste the image in there.