1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

mic repairs?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by CasJams, Jul 28, 2004.

1. CasJams

CasJams Guest

I have an oktava mk-012 and its got a lot of buzzing and noise when I hook it up with the phantom power. I switched the capsul with one that I know works correctly and still get the same problems which tells me the diaphram is fine. I know these mics are pretty cheap, but would getting it repaired be cheaper than getting a new one? Where can I go for mic repairs? I'm in the chicago area.

2. paddy

paddy Guest

repair

If you don't have the troubleshoot skills, it might be worth trying out the mods here:

http://www.tbrstudio.com/oktavamod.php

I'd start with the caps as they are really dodgy (remember to mod your other mk-12's too :)

Have you eliminated the possibility of a problem with the phantom power & cable? I know it wounds obvious but have to ask.

If all that fails check out Scott Dorseys mic mod - intended for cheap chinese mics but might be worth trying.

Alternately since it's a cheap mic - save the money on repair / moification and get another.

I'd be interested in repairing it but i'm in ireland and the postage would be excessive.

Actually if you so decide to get a new one I'd buy the old one off you if it was going cheap.

ANyway good luck,

Paddy

3. frob

frob Well-Known Member

that link does not go where you think it goes.