1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Mic to PC connection question...

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Severeign, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Severeign

Severeign Guest

Apologies if this subject has been covered before, but I've hit a problem and I'm hoping that there's someone who can answer a question.

I'm currently trying to connect a microphone to my PC. The mic in question is:

Type: Uni-directional dynamic
    Impedance: 500Ω, balanced
    Frequency response: 60Hz to 12kHz
    Sensitivity: 72dB @ 1kHz
    Head diameter: 42mm
    Length: 175mm (excluding connector)

Having done a little research I've discovered the need for a pre amp. However I already run the PC's sound through an external amp which should in theory mean I can plug the mic into this amp..yes?

Which I can then plug into the back of the PC

And hey presto, mic works, everybody's happy...

Does this sound like a feasible solution? Or am I making it up as i go?! If it is the answer can someone give me a heads up on where best to plug it all in. I already have an audio splitter that will allow me to plug the mic into the available connections on the amp.

Any questions will be answered to the best of my abilities as I'm a newbie when it comes to recording.

Thanks in advance...
  2. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Cocoa, FL
    Nope, it doesn't work that way.
    You need an ADC and a Preamp.

Nice monkey, BTW!
  3. Severeign

Severeign Guest

Thanks Bent, just out of curiousity what's the difference between a pre amp and an amp? And an ADC? Audio Doctor's Credentials? Aurally Deafening Choir? Is this separate to the Pre Amp (another purchase?)
  4. hueseph

hueseph Distinguished Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    A pre-amp comes before an amp. It brings a mic level signal up to line level. They both amplify but a preamp also changes the resistance value. Don't ask me for numbers. I couldn't tell you. Analogue to Digital Converter.
  5. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Cocoa, FL
    Egad, son!

A Microphone

(Dead Link Removed)

An ADC (Preamp Included)

Tracks in a computer!
  6. Severeign

Severeign Guest

Your patience is appreciated! :lol: (Told you I was new to this game.)

I am off to buy myself a preamp so pretty soon it'll be happy monkeys all round.