1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

micing bass cab?

Discussion in 'Bass' started by Chappy, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Chappy

Chappy Guest

I've taken just the DI channel forever and I've just started micing the bass cab and blending the DI. I was just curious as to any particular technique for micing the bass cab. How close should I be micing? What mic? Large Condensor or dynamic? The mics that I have to choose from is:

So far the only micing that I've done to the bass cab was once with the condenser side of the AE2500, which I thought sounded pretty clean and nice round bottom. The other time that I did it, I tried the MD 421 on the S setting, it seemed like I got more tone out of the 421 but it definately couldn't stand on it own.

2. Phantom

Phantom Guest

hey man

ive never recorded a bass cab before but from i heard sounds good
    is use the 57's right get a long hollow tube place it about 4 inches from the cab stick the mic about 2 inches from the tube and record you can mess around with the placments but like i said this is what ive heard works but i wouldnt know
  3. nandoph8

nandoph8 Active Member

Sep 6, 2004
    I usually use a beta 52 on the cone about 8" from the speaker and be careful with phasing problems.
  4. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Your ATM25 is a kickass bass cab mic... the size and array of the bass cab speakers will determine for you where it goes.The best spot is the one that sounds the best....simple, huh.....