1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Mic'ing suggestions

Discussion in 'Recording' started by chips, Sep 24, 2007.

1. chips

chips Guest

Hi I am starting work on some recordings for a friend soon and I am looking for some mic'ing suggestions regarding a beyer m-160 ribbon mic

The stuff we will be working on is acoustic guitar and vocals mainly. A kind of slightly folky slight nick cave kind of feel. The guitar is mainly fingerpicking so its not too loud. We will be recording the vocals separately.

In the past i have mainly used my AKG414 on acoustics around the 12th fret but I have managed to lay my hands on a Beyer m160 ribbon mic for this session and was wondering if anyone had used one on an acoustic guitar or voice with good results ? Any tips on placement etc ?

I will probably be using two mics on the guitar (a nice good sounding martin guitar) if I can get a good sound that way. My decent mic options will be the beyer ribbon, my AKG414 and a Neuman M149

My pre amp is a single channel Great River me 1nv and I also have a
    D-Tar solstice preamp ?

If you had any good preamp, mic or placement suggestions it would be great to hear them. We dont have much time to record so I would like to be able to get straight down to it.

Thanks a lot
    C