1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

MICing up a guitar amp?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by e_jawhary3, Jan 11, 2006.

1. e_jawhary3

e_jawhary3 Guest

I was jsut wondering if anyone could give me any advise on micing my guitar amp.

heres the equiptment i have:

Marshall avt 150 guitar amplifier

Boss br1600 digital recoder

Samson c valve (mainly used to invert the phase of my condenser mic and supply phantom power)

Shure KSM44

Shure SM57

thanks alot

2. HansAm

HansAm Active Member

Straight away i would say "put the SM57 on the edge of one of the speakerelements, very close (<1")"
    But of course, you have to experiment, I'v used a cheap BIG chinese condenser mic on these guitaramps and gotten a GREATE sound.

3. davidinoz

davidinoz Guest

I agree - '57 straight at the cone just a little in from the edge. A condensor about 10 - 12 inches away can be nice (watch for phasing problems). play with the panning and levels for a sound you like.
    If you are recording the amp by itself you can try a room mike as well (8-10 feet away).

4. e_jawhary3

e_jawhary3 Guest

Thanks alot for the usefull feedback.

Just one more thing, i have a phase inverter switch on my samson mic preamp, which mic should i invert the phase of (the condenser or the SM57)?

thanks alot

5. Digipenguin

Digipenguin Guest

You will only have to invert the phase if you are having cancellation or phasing issues.

If you do need to invert one of the signals it doesnt matter which one it is.