1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Microphone cables?!

Discussion in 'Accessories / Connections' started by Cortezz, May 11, 2005.

  1. Cortezz

    Cortezz Guest

    I have just recieved a Shure 58 and a Shure 57 and the cables for them but the thing is i have no idea where to plug them in

    Basiclly i want to use these for making rap music on my computer my PC sound card only accepts the normal cheapish microphones in and is pretty cheap. I am just wondering what soundcard or adapters i need for this? And what type of connecters are on my cables shown in the pictures!

    Thanks in advanced!
  2. bap

    bap Member

    Your soundcard mic input probably relies on a small mic that is battery powered. Is it a Soundblaster?

    You most likely will have to get a microphone pre amp that you will plug your mic into. You then run a cable from the pre amp 'out' to yor soundcard. You can get a very inexpensive mic pre at Guitar Center, Zzounds, Musicians Friend, or many other internet stores.

    Your soundcard, if it takes a 1/8 inch minijack, is probably a stereo input and a single channel mic pre will be mono.

    Have a look at some of the articles here: http://www.theprojectstudiohandbook.com/articles18.htm and you will probably be able to get a better idea of what you might need.
  3. Cortezz

    Cortezz Guest

    thanks dawg!
  4. Cortezz

    Cortezz Guest

    Woah i dont have enuff money for a preamp :p

    Isnt there a way so i could just get a simple adapter so the cable goes into the soundcard?
  5. frob

    frob Well-Known Member

    not really the sound that the mic makes is to quiet for your sound card to use, there are plenty of low cost preamps out there the only one really worth its money is the groove tubs "Brick" you can pick one up at guitar center for 300-400 USdollars depending on your hagleing skill.
  6. bap

    bap Member

    Guitar Center had an 'Audio Buddy' 2 channel pre for $59 recently.

    It is VERY affordable and will at least get a signal to the soundcard.

    It has 1/4 inch outs and you can go to Radio Shack for any cable/adapter stuff you might need.

    If you go up from Audio Buddy you will definately be spending more.
  7. TeddyG

    TeddyG Well-Known Member

    "Hossa" offers a complete mic cable made for just such an occastion - XLR female to 1/8" mini-plug. Many music stores sell Hossa stuff and the guy behind the counter will help you.

    You don't need a mic preamp for a dynamic mic, like the SM57 or 58 - at least not at first. Try just plugging the cable into the mic and the other end into the "mic in" jack on the sound card. See if it works. Problems? Get back to us.

    WARNING!!! This cable will be MUCH heavier than should be used with this sound card!!! Try, somehow, to support the weight of the cable(Tape a loop of the cable ABOVE the mic-in jack or something, to the computer box.) to keep it from breaking the card... Don't be plugging it in and out much and run the cable in a way that no one will trip on it and pull it out sideways, etc...

  8. frob

    frob Well-Known Member

    in your advanced volume controls there is a boost gain setting that you will need to turn on most likly.
  9. bap

    bap Member

    Good idea! See if it works.

    Those are XLR connecters in your photo.
  10. Cortezz

    Cortezz Guest

    thanks ppl ill try that out :D
  11. bradb

    bradb Member

    When I started recording, I used a XLR to 1/4" adaptor, to 1/8" adaptor... when i listen to those old songs of mine, they sound so flat. the sm58 and 57 are good mics, get a pre as soon as possible.

  12. rockart

    rockart Guest

    Worth a read too:
  13. Cortezz

    Cortezz Guest

    ah thanks a bunch man im going to by a Preamp :D

Share This Page